How is your call quality?

windstrings

Reaction score
Huge quality issues on my phone on both ends. I hear constant digital compression sounds in the earpiece, hissing, crackling, muffling that comes and goes and modulates with the persons voice and pauses. Sounds like crap DAC or DSP artifacts. Its unbearable.

My voice is muffled to the caller, ive done recordings and voicemails and it sounds like I am talking over a NASA sat comm link, you know the transmisssions from astornauts, how they have a disconnected sound about them. bad sampling rate or frequency clipping, its horrible and doesnt even sound like my voice, its missing entire high ends of the frequencies as if i reencoded my voice down to some of the lowest bitrates for speech.

My HTC had amazing call quality, this is horrendous. Its sad that I cannot keep this phone because of this issue. Everything else about this phone is incredible. But it is still a phone.

You've gotta have a bad phone... especially if you have it set at default settings.

ridaz650

Reaction score
i'm also getting the muffled voice to callers. left several voicemails as well. using the speakerphone i sound clearer. callers on my end sound fine. funny thing i had this same issue on my blackberry tour. i went through a couple of them & still had the muffled issue. i'll try out a droid in the store & leave a vm to myself & see if there's a difference. if not; i'll live it with it just as i did w/ the tour.

TomN

Reaction score
Well I exchanged my Droid today which will make it my 3rd Droid since Sunday! Good news is that the camera on this one seems to be working a lot better than the last two. Still not sure of the phone quality has improved any. Still haven't had a chance to test it yet.

windstrings

Reaction score
Well I exchanged my Droid today which will make it my 3rd Droid since Sunday! Good news is that the camera on this one seems to be working a lot better than the last two. Still not sure of the phone quality has improved any. Still haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Yea. seems you can't test the camera either without it being activated first.

I wouldn't take it back anymore.. its entirely possible your towers are not playing well with the android system and/or the update will help.

Restarting the phone and taking the battery out or even a *228 may seem to fix it but in reality, it could be grabbing a whole new or different tower when it comes back up which doesn't have the bad chip etc.

Cell towers have to interact with a ton of different phones... the droid is a brand new player in the system.... just give them some time....

I also trust Google wants to make this happen and step into this market and they have plenty of money to make it so.

I haven't heard anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see a Google Android based OS for computers to choose from instead of windows.

Who ever thought Google "the search engine" would be in the cell phone market?

But I haven't seen one thing they've done without doing it with gust and vigor... this should be no different.

dmproske

Reaction score
i was getting the crackeling in the background of the earpiece when on the phone, with the volume all the way up. Turned down the volume a couple of notches and its somewhat better now. However the call clarity on my end is not as clear as my elchepo Nokia 6263 with t-mobile. Sounds somewhat muffled or compressed compared to the Nokia. Maybe Im just not used to CDMA.

I did have one person tell me that I sound louder and clearer to them verses the nokia.

dlstagehand

Reaction score
Eveyone I talk to heard an echo of them self after I got my droid it would only go away when my volume was all the way down.I tried trouble shooting it 3. Times then they swopped out my phone

otaku

Reaction score
My main voice issue is there is a noticeable delay between when I talk and the other party responds, almost as if we are using satellite communications across a great distance. May just be a side effect of Google Voice. I also notice the other end sometimes has problems hearing me using Google Voice.

Yea. seems you can't test the camera either without it being activated first.

A bit off topic, but this is not true. When on the screen with the Android, touch the corners of the phone in this order:

Upper Left -> Upper Right -> Lower Right -> Lower Left

This will allow you to test the functions of the phone before activation.

TomN

Reaction score
Oh no I'm more than happy with this phone! The camera seems to work a bit better, and the call quality is better also.

I did notice with some testing that there does seem to be a little lag when calling using Google Voice. Dunno what could cause that since this is the first time I've ever played with it.

windstrings

Reaction score
Eveyone I talk to heard an echo of them self after I got my droid it would only go away when my volume was all the way down.I tried trouble shooting it 3. Times then they swopped out my phone

I never get much help out of tech support.. they simply follow a list and protocol of troubleshooting sequences and you have to get to a much higher level before you can get anyone that actually knows anything.

So far mine has never echo'd again...... mine was echoing from the other end "what the other person heard" it doesn't do it now...

All I did was dial *228 and picked option 1 for a reprogram... "it doesn't change any of your normal custom settings" and let it reboot, then do it again with option 2.

Has anyone done that and it still didn't fix it?.....
Or do I hear people trying other things without giving that a try?

The reason I ask is I still hear complaints but I haven't heard anyone say they tried that and state that it didn't work.

windstrings

Reaction score
A bit off topic, but this is not true. When on the screen with the Android, touch the corners of the phone in this order:

Upper Left -> Upper Right -> Lower Right -> Lower Left

This will allow you to test the functions of the phone before activation.

Very nice!.. thanks!

ryanm

Reaction score
Is it just me or does any one else's phone make every callers voice sound computerized?

jgmarto

Reaction score
I got my droid on launch day also and thus far have had absolutely no sound quality issues. In fact, I think this might be the best phone for sound quality I've had in 18 years.

jazzlover

Reaction score
poor call sound quality prev discussed

I read some posts in another thread about this problem--perhaps do a search because I saw some recommended solutions that people reported solved this problem.