How is 'M' for a new user?

pctdavis

Reaction score
So, I'm considering getting the Razr M for my wife as her first smart phone. Has anyone got this as their first phone? I'm used to Android, so this phone is a little lacking for me but for my wife, the only thing I need is "problem free". If it has little issues I know she's going to tell me to take it back and get an iPhone. (iphones are not allowed in my house). So, all thoughts welcome.

Red meat is not bad for you; green fuzzy meat is bad for you.

bmetelsky

Reaction score
I think it is a great phone, for a first or a replacement/upgrade for the more experienced user.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
The only problems I am having are the lack of a menu button(which isn't really a big deal I guess) and the fact the Otter Box makes getting to the edge of the screen a bit trying. The phone is easy to use other than that.

GaryLearned

Reaction score
I'm a brand new user, having come from a flip phone just 3 days ago. So far, I like it... fairly easy to figure out, after only about 10 minutes of familiarization in the Verizon store.

Spey

Reaction score
The only problems I am having are the lack of a menu button(which isn't really a big deal I guess) and the fact the Otter Box makes getting to the edge of the screen a bit trying. The phone is easy to use other than that.

OP says,
"I'm used to Android, so this phone is a little lacking for me"

pctdavis,
Being used to Android, why is the Razr M lacking in your mind?

Bigbadwulff makes great comment related to any case that has overlap at edge of screen bezel (I think this would apply to any device with very narrow bezel like the M). OB is awesome case, but I don't think many have yet tried it on the M.

With regard to phone for your wife, you will not find a plethora of cases, colors, accessories, etc. for the M, and this many times can be a big deal it seems for women ...

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
I opted for the Razr Maxx HD for myself. Personally, screen, battery, size, ect all just a little better. Had looked at S3 and DNA but battery and reception out weight camera and screen quality for my usage. For my wife, just want something relatively bug free. Coming from a Thunderbolt, I am weary of new phones. I just got this thing working good! Haha.

Case wise I think we are fine. We looked a simple case that has a clip on it.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Great................BEFORE the Jelly Bean update!! My phone is going back. Jelly Bean just screwed up too many things: Speed dial, voice input. The basic dialer sucks in the first place even on ICS. Hell I'm even considering a %@#$@# i-Phone.

EDIT: Sorry for that. I was a little upset to say the least. A Factory Reset fixed everything and moreover the new Setup actually resets your phone pretty much back to where it was before, downloaded apps and all! Amazed!!!

Again, sorry for going off.

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
Great................BEFORE the Jelly Bean update!! My phone is going back. Jelly Bean just screwed up too many things: Speed dial, voice input. The basic dialer sucks in the first place even on ICS. Hell I'm even considering a %@#$@# i-Phone.

Okay, thank you for this. I had seen a few notes about this and was curious about how wide spread a problem this was. I've heard rave reviews about Jellybean and then I've heard horror stories. Is this something a factory reset might cure?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Okay, thank you for this. I had seen a few notes about this and was curious about how wide spread a problem this was. I've heard rave reviews about Jellybean and then I've heard horror stories. Is this something a factory reset might cure?

You will always hear more complaints than compliments. A factory reset is always recommended when doing a major OS change of that sorts. People had the same problem when coming from Gingerbread to the ICS on the OG Razr.

Doing a couple factory resets back to back after installing the new OS can never hurt and usually only makes things better. I love JB on my Nexus 7 but sadly my Razr won't see it for awhile. This is by far the best OS Android has produced so just like everything else, give it time.

bigbadwulff

Reaction score
Yup. I take it back. Factory Reset fixed everything. My bad for going off. Hope that didn't mess up your decision. Plus, when I did the reset, the set up actually reloaded my downloaded apps and everything. Wow, when did this gem start happening. This is friggen awesome!!

OP
pctdavis

pctdavis

Reaction score
No, that is good to know. If I get my wife one I'll make sure to get everything set up before I give it to her.

The Google backup is nice. It came in handy for me several times as I am on my third thunderbolt.