How do I tether with Windows 8?

cjanicke

Reaction score
Just got my wife a laptop for Christmas. It has Windows 8. Tried to Bluetooth tether and it won't connect. I can send files from phone to computer, just can't use data. Also, I tried to tether with usb. Phone would charge but the computer would not recognize the phone. I am trying to use phone's software to connect. I am on ICS. I know there are apps to tether, but it appears they have trouble with ICS as well. I am on Verizon if that makes a difference. Tried in both 3G and 4G areas. One last note, I can connect with usb and Bluetooth on Windows 7 laptop. Thanks for any help. I have searched forums but mostly found info from before Windows 8 was officially released so there was really no help.

OP
C

cjanicke

Reaction score
I try to connect to "access point" in the Bluetooth connection. The phone connects but the computer shows no internet access.

Reaction score
Just got my wife a laptop for Christmas. It has Windows 8. Tried to Bluetooth tether and it won't connect. I can send files from phone to computer, just can't use data. Also, I tried to tether with usb. Phone would charge but the computer would not recognize the phone. I am trying to use phone's software to connect. I am on ICS. I know there are apps to tether, but it appears they have trouble with ICS as well....
I haven't heard of tethering apps that don't work with ICS; some don't work with Jelly Bean, though.

FoxFi, PdaNet, and EasyTether all work with ICS and Windows 8. Since FoxFi runs strictly on your phone, the Windows version on your laptop is irrelevant for that app.

OP
C

cjanicke

Reaction score
Is there no way to use the built in tethering on the phone? Is it a driver issue? I only know enough about this stuff to be dangerous. I appreciate any help. I didn't want to load an app on the phone that I didn't really need.

bbucks36

Reaction score
you have couple of options..

A) get shared data plan thru verizon and wifi tether is free
B) root the phone and do the SQL entitlement check hack
C) root the phone and use wifi tether free in app store (best option)
D) pay for FOXFI in appstore

as for the bluetooth tether option A or B has to be done

motorola drivers are not neccessary for any of the options above .. unless you do usb wifi

i personally use option B with no back lash from verizon for the last 2 years..im, 8 on ICS .246 used it on windows 7 ,8 and MAC

Last edited:

obaja

Reaction score
you have couple of options..

A) get shared data plan thru verizon and wifi tether is free
B) root the phone and do the SQL entitlement check hack
C) root the phone and use wifi tether free in app store (best option)
D) pay for FOXFI in appstore

as for the bluetooth tether option A or B has to be done

motorola drivers are not neccessary for any of the options above .. unless you do usb wifi

i personally use option B with no back lash from verizon for the last 2 years..im, 8 on ICS .246 used it on windows 7 ,8 and MAC

why Do i get the verizon hotspot message if the entitlement is at 0 and I'm using wifi tether to tether my laptop to my phone then?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have a Bionic with ICS and a new Win 8 laptop. Foxfi is worth 10 times it's $7 price

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Or you can USB tether for free with a simple Motorola driver download and not break any terms at all and experience none of the problems any of the Wifi apps have such as dropping signal or sloooow connection time.

bbucks36

Reaction score
why Do i get the verizon hotspot message if the entitlement is at 0 and I'm using wifi tether to tether my laptop to my phone then?
reboot? and wifi tether app you dont need the entitlement to be set to 0 just be rooted

Last edited:

bbucks36

Reaction score
Or you can USB tether for free with a simple Motorola driver download and not break any terms at all and experience none of the problems any of the Wifi apps have such as dropping signal or sloooow connection time.
either usb or wifi hotspot the speed is the same.. plus with the wifi hotspot you can still use your phone without having to disconnect from usb unless you dont mind being usb tethered while using your phone.

obaja

Reaction score

Where would I find the motorola driver? This sounds like a better way to go.

obaja

Reaction score
reboot? and wifi tether app you dont need the entitlement to be set to 0 just be rooted

Yes, I have rebooted several times, Turned airplane mode off and on several times, connected and disconnected wifi several times. Still no dice.

The entitlement was set to 0 without me adjusting it anyways. Thanks.

Foxfi seems to be working and not taking away 3g service once foxfi is turned off. I will update with the results after more use of foxfi

dfcfu342

Reaction score
either usb or wifi hotspot the speed is the same.. plus with the wifi hotspot you can still use your phone without having to disconnect from usb unless you dont mind being usb tethered while using your phone.

I wasn't talking about speed I was referring to how long it takes to connect to the wifi hotspot.

The Moto drivers are on there website a quick Google search should bring them up.

bbucks36

Reaction score
Yes, I have rebooted several times, Turned airplane mode off and on several times, connected and disconnected wifi several times. Still no dice.

The entitlement was set to 0 without me adjusting it anyways. Thanks.

Foxfi seems to be working and not taking away 3g service once foxfi is turned off. I will update with the results after more use of foxfi
did you change your ip to 192.168.43.2...mine connects auto and connects quick..o well good luck....as for drivers USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. Middle East - Africa