Bluetooth tethers in 3g only while Razr tethers in 4g

jtrippe77

Reaction score
I cannot get my Bionic to bluetooth tether in 4g. I have to switch to CDMA only and it will tether. However, my co-worker has a Razr and her phone tethers 4g. Both of us are tethering to a Asus Transformer. Any ideas why Razr allows 4g and Bionic doesn't? I'm tethering by pairing the devices and clicking on connect to the internet. It says it's connected in 4g but the second icon (square light blue with bt symbol) does not show up. It works in 3g though. I've also tried pdanet and pdanet tablet with the same results.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I have been trying to bt tether my iPad (don't laugh I won it, so it was free) to my Bionic. It was not working. After a few searches I found posts that it only worked on 3G. Once I switched to CDMA only, it worked. But I have found after I connect, I can turn 4g back on and it stays connected. I think the bt is the limiting factor, but it is somewhat faster.

OP
J

jtrippe77

Reaction score
Just tried your suggestion. It worked but the speed test on the speedtest.net app are still showing 3g speeds. I'm getting over 20m on the Bionic but just under 1 on the Transformer. I wonder why the Razr is different. I guess I should borrow my co-workers and see if she is actually getting 4g speeds while tethered.

OP
J

jtrippe77

Reaction score
Update: The new 5.9.901 update allows you to tether in 4g without switching. You still don't get 4g speeds (but it is faster) but you don't have to switch to CDMA only.

helron

Reaction score
Was able to Bluetooth tether iPad 3 android razor. However recent ICS upgrade on the droid Razr has now prevented me from Bluetooth tethering both devices any help is appreciated. I tried just using CMDA-that didn't help. At times both devices see one another and the iPad or razr will pair -but then one of the devices won't. Ugh!

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Have you tried Foxfi from the Play Store. Works great on GB with my iPad. I think I have seen other posts that it still works on ICS

helron

Reaction score
Thanks but FOXFi did not work here's what happens on both devices:
Razr Bluetooth discovers the iPad and gives me a pairing #.
Ipad3 at times will not see droid. However when it does it offers a pairing ID
The result is that the iPad always fails to connect to the razr, yet did pre ICS!
Additionally, I have set the Razr to use 4G and then tried with 3G - neither of these options seem to activate a Bluetooth connection. Also, both 3 and 4G worked prior to ICS. ugh!
Help is appreciated.

More: ICS paired Bluetooth device screen now shows a profile! It shows Internet access Usefor Internet access with a check box. I am not able to remove the checkmark. This is new and may be cause of non-Bluetooth connection issue? This profile check mark option was not on the phone prior to ICS update.

Last edited: