Bionic USB tethering to my Galaxy Tab 10.1?

theDmanVR6

Reaction score
I just purchased a wifi only Galaxy Tab 10.1, and I was wondering if anyone on here was at all familiar with using my Bionic's USB tethering to get data on my Tab when not in a wifi area. The Tab is already rooted, but the Bionic is not. I am familiar with the fact that if I root the Bionic I can use the mobile hotspot feature without being charged by Verizon, but rooting the Bionic isn't something I want to do yet. I did do a manual update on the Bionic to .901, but whenever I connect my Bionic to the Tab, I get an error message on the Tab saying "USB High powered connection, cannot connect. USB device needs its own source of power". or something like that...I have used the Bionic for USB tethering on my laptop, just not sure how to get the Tab to recognize the Bionic as a data connection. I have posted this post on a Galaxy forum, I was just hoping someone on here might have experience with this. Thanks in advance.

kc6wke

Reaction score
I just purchased a wifi only Galaxy Tab 10.1, and I was wondering if anyone on here was at all familiar with using my Bionic's USB tethering to get data on my Tab when not in a wifi area. The Tab is already rooted, but the Bionic is not. I am familiar with the fact that if I root the Bionic I can use the mobile hotspot feature without being charged by Verizon, but rooting the Bionic isn't something I want to do yet. I did do a manual update on the Bionic to .901, but whenever I connect my Bionic to the Tab, I get an error message on the Tab saying "USB High powered connection, cannot connect. USB device needs its own source of power". or something like that...I have used the Bionic for USB tethering on my laptop, just not sure how to get the Tab to recognize the Bionic as a data connection. I have posted this post on a Galaxy forum, I was just hoping someone on here might have experience with this. Thanks in advance.

I dont believe you can usb tether to a tab. You need to have the moto usb drivers and I do not believe they are available for tabs.
Had you rooted your bionic before you did the update to 901, you could have used wifi tether android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting. I use it every day on my kindle Fire.

You still can go back to 5.5.886 and forever root and then go back to 901 see this link
A easier way back to the update path - RootzWiki
And then use wifi tether to connect.
Rooting the bionic will not do any harm, but make your bionic life a whole lot easier.

Phranc

Reaction score
Use Bluetooth to connect to your Bionic.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

OP
T

theDmanVR6

Reaction score
I dont believe you can usb tether to a tab. You need to have the moto usb drivers and I do not believe they are available for tabs.
Had you rooted your bionic before you did the update to 901, you could have used wifi tether android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting. I use it every day on my kindle Fire.

You still can go back to 5.5.886 and forever root and then go back to 901 see this link
A easier way back to the update path - RootzWiki
And then use wifi tether to connect.
Rooting the bionic will not do any harm, but make your bionic life a whole lot easier.

Thanks for the reply man. I gotta say, I am very familiar with rooting and flashing roms and all that with my Incredible, but reading all that just confused the hell out of me. Would I just need to download the 5.5.893 file and update from SD card like I did to get the 901? Whats all the other jargen for? Also if i root now (with 901) is it not possible to to get wifi tether?

kc6wke

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply man. I gotta say, I am very familiar with rooting and flashing roms and all that with my Incredible, but reading all that just confused the hell out of me. Would I just need to download the 5.5.893 file and update from SD card like I did to get the 901? Whats all the other jargen for? Also if i root now (with 901) is it not possible to to get wifi tether?

Rooting 901 is not possable as of yet. Its not as easy as that but not too difficult.
you need to go back to 5.5.886, apply "forever root" (or you will loose it when you update), update to 5.5.893, then update to .901
Another way is to use R3l3AS3DRoot_Windows_V2.1.
R3L3As3Droot And 43V3R Root For The Bionic V2.1 - RootzWiki
Its all very simple just takes time.