How do I get gingerbread? I used Z4 to root awhile back on my Droid 2...

xythil

Reaction score
Now I have the unrooted Gingerbread trying to install but I keep declining it as it was sent OTA....

So what do I do?

Is there a better root than Z4? I dont seem to have recovery to flash new roms... when I hot X my phone boots up to a trianlge with a ! instead of recovery that let me flash roms

Also where is the link to rooted gingerbread ?

And how do i install it once I get it?

mattv111

Reaction score
I'm kinda confused about what you're asking, but I'm pretty sure you can root the OTA GB using the same method for the D3. Hope that helps you

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Not sure what hatd to understand...

I rooted my. Droid 2. Originally with z4

Now I want gingerbread....

What do I. Do

Can I oover the air update. And use z4 again?

Reaction score
Use the 1 click root that's used for the Droid 3. I think it's a temporary root though..

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
http://db.tt/EefYBVw

No its permanent root. Put this on your pc desktop and unzip. Run the one click file in there and follow the directions. Plug in the phone (make sure usb debugging is checked.) It may take a few tries, but it'll work.

CM7GB-601

idefiler6

Reaction score
Do the OTA update, Z4 is not compatible with D2GB, so you need to use one click root for D3.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Did gingerbread disable free wireless tether?

mattv111

Reaction score
I know when I was on the leak I could never get it to work. I haven't tried it with rooted OTA yet though.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't use wifi tether, but you can try the latest beta build. It may be updated to work with the ota if yours isn't working. I'll post the link. Make sure you go into wifi tether settings and choose your device as well!

CM7GB-601

seventurns9

Reaction score
Hi There. I am looking all over for help and this thread seems to be the closest to what I am asking: I have a Z4 rooted Droid 2 (stock Froyo) with Droid 2 bootstrapper, ClockworkModRecovery and I only installed root explorer and wireless tether... didn't uninstall any stock apps. I got the OTA gingerbread notifications the other day on my Droid 2 but I told it to install later (in fear of ruining my install).
My question is can I simply unroot using Z4 and then have the OTA update install, or do I have to do something else? I just want to have Gingerbread on my phone working and then able to root it without losing everything else. Thanks, sorry for the long post (i'm new) :)

Last edited:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It should be fine to accept the update. It will install gb, but will unroot your device. That's okay though, because you can use the d3 one click method on your pc to root the ota. I say, go for it.

CM7GB-601

seventurns9

Reaction score
Thanks for your input ldopa.
Does having the Droid 2 Bootstrapper cause the update to fail? I thought that any customizations (removing apps or rooting of the stock Froyo) would cause the OTA update to fail, or at best have problems. I see alot of forums saying how everyone is SBF'ng (something I have never done before) to get the GB OTA update on their rooted phones. I just want to be sure

Last edited: