2.2 to 2.3.3 on Droid 2 (R2D2)

ILdylan

Reaction score
So, I am currently running 2.2 Rooted, and I would like to get it up to the latest version of Gingerbread available.

I have been searching all over here and XDA and can not find my answer. so far it seems that the process I will need to take is as follows:

Unroot > OTA Update to 2.3.20 > Root with Z4 > Follow these instructions to get to 2.3.3 > Root

-----

Is this correct?

Is there an SBF file (or something) I could download so I can just go straight from where I am now to 2.3.3?

roboots21

Reaction score
Running 2.2 rooted you can shoot straight to the rooted GB. No need to SBF. I was on Liberty 1.5 and I flashed right to GB with no issues. Your process would be simplified to this:

Follow those instuctions you posted :)

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
Running 2.2 rooted you can shoot straight to the rooted GB. No need to SBF. I was on Liberty 1.5 and I flashed right to GB with no issues. Your process would be simplified to this:

Follow those instuctions you posted :)

No shiz? I was concerned because in the instructions it states:

You must start the process with your phone running the official 2.3.20. If you have already upgraded to gingerbread grab this 2.3.20 sbf file ....

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
Hooray. Just confirmed Z4 still works for rooting on 2.3.3, awesome. Thanks for the input/help.

destin246

Reaction score
I'm already rooted Do I just go int to bootstrap recovery and intall gb zip? I have nerver had a rom on my d2 so I kno I wouldn't have to sbf

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
Now I have run into speed bump #2, maintaining all my R2D2 media after install.

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
and I'm bricked.... I installed the 2.3.3 and the install aborted. It put 2.3.3 on but a crippled version. I then tried to load the 2.3.20 SBF and bricked. Now I am trying to find a 2.3.20 SBF that won't brick my device.

If you have a good link, please reply. Also reply if you have a good link to a 2.2.20 SBF.

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
Yay. 2.3.3

I was only bricked for about 3 hours.
If anyone ends up running into issues with this install let me know.

bigwilly90210

Reaction score
question! Sooo... do we have to do it exactly like that? I've been kinda experimenting with it.... probably a little too much. lol. you can see my mishaps on my blog: adroidblog.wordpress.com
also have some screenshots and what not of the leak for anyone not already on it.

VI66R

Reaction score
Okay, so i'm a noob at this, BUT i do have the R2D2 Droid 2, and i do want to update to 2.3.3. Now my question is how am i going to retain all my star wars stuff? like the R2 bootloader and the Star Wars Lock screen themes? the wallpapers? the live wallpapers? the custom apps (hoth binocs and best of r2d2 video)???

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
The boot animation is easy enough to restore after upgrade.
The live wallpapers are just installable apps.
The notifications are just OGG files.
Beyond that, good luck.

VI66R

Reaction score
OKAY. so i managed to figure out most of how to do that. BUT, i still need to know how to get the lock screen theme from my current phone... (stock rom. unrooted. dunno what'll root this. or how.)

OP
I

ILdylan

Reaction score
If you root, you will lose nothing. If you upgrade to 2.3.3 you will lose everything.

I don't know where in the /system/ directory the files that control that aspect of your phone is housed.

I do know there was a thread with a link to "all" the R2D2 media so that if you changed the ROM you could reload it.

juhde

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wondering

Semi off topic here but, us poor D1 guys could use the bootanimation binary (/system/bin/) from the r2d2 on any froyo rom to enable sound during the boot animation.

However if you flash gingerbread the binary from the r2d2 will no longer function.

My question is do you still have boot animation sound after flashing the gingerbread rom on your r2d2s and if so, can someone post their bootanimation binary for testing on the D1?

Cheers

Last edited:

ahC_hED

Reaction score
I think gingerbread now supports boot sounds. Could be wrong, but I think I saw a thread in the droid x section.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums