How do I Clear Cache Partition without doing a Factory Reset???

jeffe65

Reaction score
I accedentally did a Factory Reset when I went into the menu (Reboot, holding down Power and Volume Down buttons), and there was no option for "Clear Cache/Partition". It was just a white screen with a few options; I scrolled down to "Clear Storage", or something similar, and it went through a reboot, and now I've lost all my apps/settings/messages, etc. :angry: I'm now resetting all my accounts, but while I'm doing that could someone please explain how to do a reset the next time I have to? The phone was not rooted, so I had no ROM's on it. Thanks

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Believe you need a custom recovery to perform that task. Have you tried a cache cleaner app from the market?

OP
jeffe65

jeffe65

Reaction score
Cache cleaning I can do; I thought there was a cache partition I could clear that wouldn't reset my phone back to stock?

Bpowder33

Reaction score
When your in HBOOT, volume down plus power, select recovery and see if there is any options there for clearing cache. I have a custom recovery installed so I can't really look to see what's there for ya.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Find out how to boot into stock recovery, can't remember how on the Rezound, but once in stock recovery there is a "Clear Cache Partition" option that you can use. All android phones have this option in stock recovery.

acejavelin

Reaction score
You will need to find a third party app or unlock the bootloader and install customer recovery, most HTC products do not have a way to clear the cache partition only from Recovery... if you select recovery in the stock bootloader you will just go into download mode.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You will need to find a third party app or unlock the bootloader and install customer recovery, most HTC products do not have a way to clear the cache partition only from Recovery... if you select recovery in the stock bootloader you will just go into download mode.

?

You can in fact get to stock recovery with out being rooted/unlocked, all Android phones have to have a way to get there.

I did a write up here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...-how-access-hboot-fastboot-recovery-menu.html

And what download mode are you referring too? After HBOOT gets done checking for image files on your SD card (make sure you don't have any on there) you can scroll down to "RECOVERY" select by pressing the power button, phone will boot into stock recovery, press both volume keys to access recovery, and the scroll down to "Clear Cache Partition" and boom, you've just cleared the cache partition without doing a factory reset.

acejavelin

Reaction score
Wow... Learn something everyday I guess. I stand completely corrected and offer my apologies for giving such terrible advice and thank you for correcting me and teaching me something I didn't know!!! Thanks macpro88!!!

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I think your being a little hard on yourself ace. I think unlocking and putting a custom recovery on his phone is still an excellent idea! :)

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow... Learn something everyday I guess. I stand completely corrected and offer my apologies for giving such terrible advice and thank you for correcting me and teaching me something I didn't know!!! Thanks macpro88!!!

haha no problem, even I still learn new things, that's why we're all here!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
What information will I lose if I clear the cache partition? Is it like pressing "clear data" on your apps or is it less extreme? Do I even need to? I'm not hurting for storage space and I clear my regular cache every couple of days.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
What information will I lose if I clear the cache partition? Is it like pressing "clear data" on your apps or is it less extreme? Do I even need to? I'm not hurting for storage space and I clear my regular cache every couple of days.

You won't notice any difference. It will just clear up junk files accumulated over time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
You won't notice any difference. It will just clear up junk files accumulated over time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what is the difference between wiping cache in recovery vs using an app from the market?