Hotspot causes laptop to BSOD

tenspeed

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My aunt just bought the Droid Razr Maxx HD with tethering enabled. Whenever she turns on the hotspot on her phone and connects to it from her laptop, her laptop crashes with a BSOD. I've already tried searching for a solution on google but haven't found anything yet. Her laptop is a HP Pavilion dv9743cl (it's pretty old). Below is a summary of everything I've tried up to this point.

Ran check disk (no problems found)
Ran memtest86 (no problems found)
Reinstalled Windows 7
Installed latest wireless driver from Intel
Flashed the BIOS with latest version from HP
Set the MTU to 1400 for the Wireless Network Connection (I have no idea what this does but someone suggested it on another thread for a different Razr Maxx hotspot problem and I thought I'd give it a try)

The laptop crashes immediately after it establishes a connection to the Droid Razr Maxx HD (my parent's have the same phone and I tested it with my aunt's and theirs with the same result) but I can connect to the hotspot on my Droid Bionic without any problems. What's going on here?

ddfuji

Reaction score
You can try sfc /scannow
You can run a reg fix tool.
Try older versions of drivers for the wireless adapter if you can find them.

Try a different wireless adapter to rule out stuff. You can buy a usb one and plug it in and set that up and attempt to connect through that. Also try usb tethering. Might ask the cell phone carrier to see if they have a solution. Make sure all service packs are installed. Etc.

jbeckering

Reaction score
Wireless Adapter Driver

You can try sfc /scannow
You can run a reg fix tool.
Try older versions of drivers for the wireless adapter if you can find them.

Try a different wireless adapter to rule out stuff. You can buy a usb one and plug it in and set that up and attempt to connect through that. Also try usb tethering. Might ask the cell phone carrier to see if they have a solution. Make sure all service packs are installed. Etc.

Rolled back wireless adapter to previous driver and laptop no longer crashes when connected to mobile hotspot. Thanks.