Home Replacement Apps: ADW Launcher

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Example #2
Using y0rk's White Theme (available from the Market)
again set for 5x5, disabled paginator dots to get all 4 Action Buttons. The picture frame in the middle is the "Big Photo Frame" widget, which allows for the 3x3 resizing you see here (once again for better centering, while still allowing for icons around the edge). Showing off what a good theme can do to icons.

Just curious, are those market available widgets to the right of the battery widget?

which battery widget are you talking about?
I have "Mini Info Widget" showing battery percent/Phone ROM Storage/SD Card Storage", I also have a Mobile Signal Widget or Signal Strength Widget (Both do the same thing) My Airplane mode widget is from Power Control Plus Widget.

I like that Mini Info Widget... might have to look that one up.

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Thanks for this very cool instructional thread.

I was going to go with LP, but after seeing this I've went with ADW - have most of the basics figured out - thanks to you, and just playing with it.

When and if you have time, could you post a bit more about using themes ... I'd like to customize the tray at the bottom, and add some different icons etc to my home screens ... I already have some different icon packs and BetterCut, so I know about all that, but I don't if it's possible, or how to mix and match different parts of different themes ... if that makes sense ....

Either way - GREAT thread man!

Droid1 not rooted..

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Thanks for this very cool instructional thread.

I was going to go with LP, but after seeing this I've went with ADW - have most of the basics figured out - thanks to you, and just playing with it.

When and if you have time, could you post a bit more about using themes ... I'd like to customize the tray at the bottom, and add some different icons etc to my home screens ... I already have some different icon packs and BetterCut, so I know about all that, but I don't if it's possible, or how to mix and match different parts of different themes ... if that makes sense ....

Either way - GREAT thread man!

Droid1 not rooted..
Thanks! Glad I could help!
I realize you have bettercut, but as you can see you don't necessarily need it. ADWs custom shortcuts takes care of that, I just downloaded all of Raphids(from Droid-den.com) icon packs and plan on trying them out.

As to your question, I'm not sure what you mean. Unless I'm wrong the only part of a theme that you can't customize seperately is the app drawer button.

However you can customize the dockbar even more in settings, I haven't completely gotten there yet, and since my ship's getting underway It'll have to wait for about 2 weeks (when I get into customizing the dockbar I plan on taking screenshots of the different dockbar settings to give examples).

Droidforums.net appified!

OldguyMark

Reaction score
Thanks BDiver - you, and another thread I stumbled into did answer my question.

I'm a noob to customizing home screens ... my last launcher was Helix 1, which with Bettercut was a piece of cake.

I'm a bit slow with some of this this stuff :)

And if you didn't understand my question, it is because I don't know how to ask the correct question .... :p

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
What about this FREAKY ADW beta...?

Not sure what you mean, there is an ADW Notifier app now, that seems to work mostly. It adds the notification functionality so you see a small number in a red circle at the top of icons that send notifications to Android OS.
Like "Unread Messages", "Unread Emails", or if in Chuck Norriz mode, it updates just about every single app that Android has in its memory.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Thanks BDiver - you, and another thread I stumbled into did answer my question.

I'm a noob to customizing home screens ... my last launcher was Helix 1, which with Bettercut was a piece of cake.

I'm a bit slow with some of this this stuff :)

And if you didn't understand my question, it is because I don't know how to ask the correct question .... :p
I never used Helix Launcher, but I'm glad you are enjoying ADW, though.
Although I WILL keep updating my OP, and probably add screenshots to show exactly how each setting might change the look, for example, how your dockbar might change.

I hope you continue to check out ADW and don't hesitate to ask questions! I will try to help you out. I enjoy helping others learn more about their wonderful phones and the apps they choose to use! ;)

Jonpwn

Reaction score
i was about to download it, then it says "services that cost you money"
what exactly will they do? send me spam texts? any input on this? i'd like my main homepage to be able to hold more icons

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly, technically anything on your phone uses services that cost you money in it uses up data and minutes. When you click "get themes" from inside adw settings, it opens up a market search page, and some adw themes do cost a little bit.

I have yet to have charges randomly apply to me just from using adw, if that's what you're worried about

Droidforums.net appified!

Jonpwn

Reaction score
yeah that's what i'm worried about. so far i havne't paid for any app yet.
thanks!

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Creating Themes

How do you go about creating your own theme for ADW? Thanks

Jonpwn

Reaction score
i have two screens, one has 8x5 apps and one has just a calendar taking up almost the whole screen.
everytime i press the home button, it's sorta slow to load. i can understand because of the massive number of icons, is there any way to make it faster?