Home Replacement Apps: ADW Launcher

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh man I am lovin' it... dancedroid

Installed, and setup. (Used the Google Code setup guide in the OP, very informative) Love the app. Love the ability for custom shortcuts and renaming icons, love the previews screen, and love the customization possibilities.

The main thing I love is my widgets stay intact after a reboot, I found a battery widget that survives reboot where the other one didn't.

If there is such a thing as a "wishlist", I would love to see more of the "Action Buttons" at the bottom. No biggie really.

Overall a great app, gets 5 stars from me. Thanks for everything and thanks for a great app. :)

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Installed, and setup. (Used the Google Code setup guide in the OP, very informative) Love the app. Love the ability for custom shortcuts and renaming icons, love the previews screen, and love the customization possibilities.

The main thing I love is my widgets stay intact after a reboot, I found a battery widget that survives reboot where the other one didn't.

If there is such a thing as a "wishlist", I would love to see more of the "Action Buttons" at the bottom. No biggie really.

Overall a great app, gets 5 stars from me. Thanks for everything and thanks for a great app. :)

Heh you can have a total of 4, as well as a custom "hidden" app dockbar.
I plan on adding that to my FAQ soon. The options are all there under settings ;-)

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I plan on adding that to my FAQ soon. The options are all there under settings ;-)

By that do you mean 4 "buttons" or do you mean 4 "dockbars"?

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score

Sorry, 4 buttons. There is an option to disable "paginator" dots., and it will un-gray the secondary action buttons under settings.

But if you press on the app drawer button and swipe up, the dockbar swipes away to reveal a "hidden" secondary dockbar. To go back just swipe down on the secondary dockbar and the original dockbar comes back.

The secondary dockbar might intially come up blank (wtf? where'd it go?) but its there. all you have to do is drag and drop icons down there and you're good.

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Sorry, 4 buttons. There is an option to disable "paginator" dots., and it will un-gray the secondary action buttons under settings.

But if you press on the app drawer button and swipe up, the dockbar swipes away to reveal a "hidden" secondary dockbar. To go back just swipe down on the secondary dockbar and the original dockbar comes back.

The secondary dockbar might intially come up blank (wtf? where'd it go?) but its there. all you have to do is drag and drop icons down there and you're good.

LOL yep, it did the "wtf, where'd it go" on me, and since I dont have icons on my home screen I swiped to another screen and dragged icons down there.

Awesomeness...total awesomeness. 5 stars! And thanks for all your help. :)

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score

LOL yep, it did the "wtf, where'd it go" on me, and since I dont have icons on my home screen I swiped to another screen and dragged icons down there.

Awesomeness...total awesomeness. 5 stars! And thanks for all your help. :)

Anytime :)
I only recently discovered the secondary dockbar myself (not a week before I wrote this! lol). You CAN put more icons in that dockbar than can fit the screen, and it scrolls, too!

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
As indicated by my sig, I usually set mine up for 5x5, so I can "center" widgets while still leaving room on the outside. for more.
snap20101026_214816.png

Right now this is using TallMin's custom icons, showing the secondary "hidden" dockbar. I have "App Launcher" linked to opening the app drawer (one of the ADW Launcher Actions!). My home screens are set to 5 columns by 5 rows, and my "digiclock" widget is resized to 3x1 instead of the normal 2x1, to center it better so I can still maintain the individual 1x1 widgets on either side of it. My StatusBar is auto-hidden, and I have my swipe down action set on "Show Notifications", and my swipe up action set on "Show/Hide Statusbar"

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Example #2
snap20101002_193840.png

Using y0rk's White Theme (available from the Market)
again set for 5x5, disabled paginator dots to get all 4 Action Buttons. The picture frame in the middle is the "Big Photo Frame" widget, which allows for the 3x3 resizing you see here (once again for better centering, while still allowing for icons around the edge). Showing off what a good theme can do to icons.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Example #3
snap20101010_181147.png

This was just to show off how a widget skin can work well with an ADW Theme
The clock/weather widget I'm using here is the "Weather and Toggle Widgets", set using the "Paper" skin, which works very well with the "Paperless" ADW Theme

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Example #2
again set for 5x5, disabled paginator dots to get all 4 Action Buttons. The picture frame in the middle is the "Big Photo Frame" widget, which allows for the 3x3 resizing you see here (once again for better centering, while still allowing for icons around the edge). Showing off what a good theme can do to icons.

Just curious, are those market available widgets to the right of the battery widget?

cloudstrife05

Reaction score
Excellent Thread! Ive been using ADW since I found it months ago ahen i was having issues with LP. ONce I got my Dinc, it was one of the first Apps I dl'ed.

OP
Bilgediver

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Example #2

Just curious, are those market available widgets to the right of the battery widget?

which battery widget are you talking about?
I have "Mini Info Widget" showing battery percent/Phone ROM Storage/SD Card Storage", I also have a Mobile Signal Widget or Signal Strength Widget (Both do the same thing) My Airplane mode widget is from Power Control Plus Widget.