help with Ics Roms

funnyfish

Reaction score
Ok....i keep reading different info so i will just ask...i want to try the ICS roms but ive heard that once i do i either cannot go back to. 905 or stock in order to get the offical update when it comes out...how can i get an ics rom on my bionic and what is the proper way to do it so that i can return to stock to prepare for the official? Please be specific so i can do it correctly ;-)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about a ROM or a leak? It looks like you're talking about the leaks.

If that's the case, if you install .232 you can go back to .905 for the ICS OTA update. If you install .235 or .238 you can't, but you can go forward for any updates to ICS. I recommend installing .232.

Have you ever installed an update before? Just seeing what you need to know.

Last edited:
OP
funnyfish

funnyfish

Reaction score
well as far as playing with my phone i have installed tons of roms on my D1 and Bionic...i have flashed using rsdlite before as well...which is more of a daily user...the ICS roms or ICS leak?

Tonik

Reaction score
Update to 232 is my vote. You will have to rsd back to 905 when the official ics comes out. Just dl the update and put it on your sd card and boot into recovery.

OP
funnyfish

funnyfish

Reaction score
Update to 232 is my vote. You will have to rsd back to 905 when the official ics comes out. Just dl the update and put it on your sd card and boot into recovery.

So am i using bootstrapper to get to recovery? And wipe everything like i would for a different rom? Or just install it?

Tonik

Reaction score
You are on 905 correct? You are manually updating your phone. When Moto updates your phone it goes like this: Your phone downloads the update to the root of your internal SD card. Your phone reboots and applies the update. That is exactly what you are going to do...only manually.

Cut and paste directions, just to be fair to the OP.

Download the 232 update from the first post in this forum. Do not download anything higher than 232

1. Copy the downloaded update file to the root of your internal SD card.
  2. Now, turn off your phone.
  3. Boot into stock recovery. To do so, hold both Volume Up+Down buttons, then turn it on. Use the down button to scroll to the “recover” option, then press up to select. Once the screen changes to a new icon, hit both up and down again to boot into stock Android recovery. Use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select options in recovery.
  4. Select “apply update from sdcard”. Scroll to the update file you transferred in step 2 and select it. The update will start installing.
  5. After the installation is complete, select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.

And again, after you do this you WILL have to use RSD to FXZ your phone back to 905 to get the official upgrade. Not hard, everything is here and there are some great scripts by SamuraiHL to do it for you. And everyone will help as we will all be doing it too. But you need to know you are accepting that risk.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
  1. Copy the downloaded update file to the root of your internal SD card.
Em, not the internal SD card, it's the external SD card. The one known as SD-EXT.

And yes, just a staight install. You don't need to use any ROM tools (or even be rooted) to install it. You shouldn't even lose any data.

Last edited:

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Doesn't rsd-ing reset everything though? At some point, your stuff will get messed up/restarted from scratch

Tonik

Reaction score
Doesn't rsd-ing reset everything though? At some point, your stuff will get messed up/restarted from scratch

SamuriHL's script will reset you to 905 without data loss. I would not go that route, I would blow it out but it is an option.

ctaguy

Reaction score
I have a question I'm on a rooted leak 232 my phone makes a random alert noise for no reason also when i first installed some apps they were working fine but now they don't work right any longer is it just a problem with the build I'm on? Its there a fix? Should i go to 238? How about a little help I'm a newb at this stuff thanks for any help.

HolySloth

Reaction score
I downloaded the .232 file and now get the E: Signature Verification Failed error.

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

OP
funnyfish

funnyfish

Reaction score
is the only way to get to the ics leak through stock? i rooted again last night without even thinking about it lol

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a question I'm on a rooted leak 232 my phone makes a random alert noise for no reason also when i first installed some apps they were working fine but now they don't work right any longer is it just a problem with the build I'm on? Its there a fix? Should i go to 238? How about a little help I'm a newb at this stuff thanks for any help.

I'm getting Flash Flood alerts, but I'm still on GB. What are your settings on Emergency Alerts? We need to know the apps that aren't working. I don't recommend going to .238 as you can't go back to .905 for the OTA. You can set it up to go forward, though.

is the only way to get to the ics leak through stock? i rooted again last night without even thinking about it lol

I think you can install a leak while rooted, but you might lose root. You can get it back, however.

Last edited:
OP
funnyfish

funnyfish

Reaction score
Can anyone me for sure if i can update to the leak while rooted? I dont wanna kill my phone lol

gloster

Reaction score
Trying to move to 232, I am getting this error: Verifying current system...assert failed: apply_patch_check

I defrosted all apps before attempting the move. My system version is 5.9.905.XT875.Verizon.en.US.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.