HELP!!! USB cable File Transfer from PC -> SG3 not working

Maxwell

Reaction score
Hi all,
i tried looking at all the past treads to see if any would help...but nothing i could find so here i am...

So with that out of the way, i am having issues transferring files (excel documents) from my laptop to my SG3 phone. I want to use my phone as a USB drive "of the sort" Why carry around thumbdrives and what not if my phone can take care if it all in 1 stop shop :)

My SG3 has a 32gig internal and i bought another 64giger additionally to house my word/excel documents and stuff (music etc...)

my problem is that when i hook up the USB cable from my GS3 to PC, the PC does not see my phone as a drive to dump files onto. It see's it as a media drive (camera) In window explorer, it says it is 'SCH-I535' (camera) drive. When i click on it...it show nothing...not the 32gig drive or the 64gig drive.

I tried dragging and dropping the file from PC to Phone in window explorer and no dice...

I used to have a DroidX and when i hooked it up, the DroidX gave me option of USB mass Storage, PC connect, Media connect, Phone Charge, etc..and i tlet me drag and drop files.
The SG3 only give me 2 options...Media Device (MTP) or Camera (PTP)...it autochecks the first one (MTP)...again above i says it sees it as camera when i look in the PC...but on the phone it says Media Device.

Is there something in settings on my SG3 i need to activate or something? My PC cannot see my phone when i hook it up. My DroidX had NO problems when i hooked it up. I could simply drag and drop from one drive to another (both ways)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Install drivers manually.This is how I fixed a similar issue ..may help ?? Hope so..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

Maxwell

Reaction score
How do i do that? Sorry never did a manual install of drivers...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also go into setting and click usb debugging..though this is just another step I took. Unknown sources as well..just try..I know it makes no sense ..lol Also I use astro and es file explorer...it creates folder for certain files and makes easier to transfer..imo

rontot

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, but have you turned the phone on and unlocked after hooking up?
I have to have the phone turned on and unlocked to see the contents.

OP
M

Maxwell

Reaction score
Yes i have turned on and activated the phone so it is not in "sleep" mode. but no cigar...

Anyone know how to manually install drivers? Not sure if that is going to help...but still stuck here...

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look for the drivers in xda developers site..