HELP: Unable to install any roms (aborting)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
HELP: Unable to install any roms (recovery is aborting)

I've posted this over in the CM forums but no one can figure this out. I am currently running CM7 (winner's build #28) along with prime's deprimed kernel #13.

Now on to the problem: I downloaded winner's CM7 RC3 and put it on my sd card. I went into RZ recovery and made a backup, then wiped EVERYTHING. I proceeded to install an update like I have done a hundred times before and got the following message within rz recovery:

Opening update package...
E: Can't open /sdcard/Roms/update-cm-7.0.0-RC3-Droid-winner00-signed.zip
(bad)
Installation aborted

I tried multiple times with no luck. Re-downloaded the file multiple times but no luck still. I even tried earlier versions. I then flashed to clockwork recovery (thinking rz was broken) and have the exact same problem.

Luckily I was able to flash back to my backup, but this is still frustrating since I would like to keep up with the CM updates. It seems as though my recovery is broken somehow. I've never had trouble before, so this is all new to me - I'm pretty much at a loss right now.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help!

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Two thoughts

1. Your SD card has too many backups on it
2. The zip file is corrupt

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I only have one backup on my sd card and the link for the rom has been used by many other people. I even downloaded multiple times to see if I got a bad file but no luck so far :(

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did you rename it correctly and check the extensions?

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
With rz and clockwork you don't need to rename.

And yes, the extension seems ok.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I do not use either. I'm remained with SPR. Not sure what else to suggest, sorry.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, considering some of the problems with RZR, have you tried installing after flashing CWRecovery? (I know, CWRecovery and Rom Manager is considered the devil's work here at DF). I have yet to try winner's RC3, but I use Rom Manager/CWRecovery. I use RM to automate my backups/restores and CWR (booted manually) to flash my CM roms/gapps.

Oh yeah, I guess I should have tried this idea first. I haven't tried Prime's deprimed kernel as my reading of the OP and thread said YMMV. I prefer a tried and true so I've only used his original and reprimed, just a thought.

good luck

OP
sbenson

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
All is well, I got it figured out. Turns out after all, that all of the files I was downloading were somehow being corrupted. Maybe my work computer was messing something up somehow- I don't really know.

Anyway, I ended up downloading all of the files directly from my phone when I got home last night and they worked flawlessly! (I couldn't do this earlier because of poor 3g service- this would have saved me a lot of time!)

I wondered what was going on because I could install old existing roms and kernels that I had downloaded a week before, but nothing that I downloaded yesterday would work? Very strange since I've downloaded all of my files from my work computer. I'll have to keep an eye on this. Anyway, now I know what's going on if this happens again.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I really appreciate the help.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got things squared away.

Do you have access to wifi at your home? That would reduce the download time

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Glad you got it fixed, but I'm thinking that your IT guy at work needs to be taken out back and beat. How dare he corrupt your downloads and not allow you to play with your phone while at work! :) ;)

hehehehe . . . . . .