Help rooting Droid Razr 4.1.2?

CarrierX

Reaction score
I have recently decided that I am fed up with al of the bloatware and need to get rid of it however I did just receive the Jellybean update a day or so ago and I have not found any guides on how to root while being on 4.1.2. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance!

joshxdroid

Reaction score
I'm sure someone will come up with a root method before to long. I believe as of now the only way to get rooted is to temporally unroot while still on ics, and restore it after the update. Unfortunately for you that ship has sailed.

enkryptik

Reaction score
I tried the ota rootkeeper but it didn't work for me. I ended up having to root it via adb. All is well now cept for some reason I cannot get USB tethering to work now, just wifi which is a billion times slower, uses more battery, and creates more heat.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I tried the ota rootkeeper but it didn't work for me. I ended up having to root it via adb. All is well now cept for some reason I cannot get USB tethering to work now, just wifi which is a billion times slower, uses more battery, and creates more heat.

When you say you rooted with ADB, do you mean you rooted ICS, or Jelly Bean??? :blink:

enkryptik

Reaction score
When you say you rooted with ADB, do you mean you rooted ICS, or Jelly Bean??? :blink:
Jelly Bean. ota rootkeeper kept saying there was no protected backup so I pushed a su and a superuser.apk and it gave me root.

nastybynature

Reaction score
Jelly Bean. ota rootkeeper kept saying there was no protected backup so I pushed a su and a superuser.apk and it gave me root.

So getting root on my razr maxx after the OTA jellybean update is possible? Where can I find instructions on how to do this? :-D Really want my FoxFi back for my nexus 7.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Please expound upon this!! When you say you pushed it, you simply used ADB commands from a terminal, or did you use a self-created BAT file? Where did you push SU and superuser.apk to (i.e. what folder(s))? In other words, can you list the steps and commands with full syntax? I, for one, would very much like to know, as I did botch my upgrade and don't have root. :frown: Also, I'm sure there are others in a similar predicament. :hail:

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Interesting.........

Yes, Josh, interesting is perhaps a bit tame, I'd sooner go with exciting, promising, thrilling, oh, I don't know...maybe even exhilarating! :D

So getting root on my razr maxx after the OTA jellybean update is possible? Where can I find OK instructions on how to do this? :-D
nastybynature, that's just what WE'RE trying to find out too! Stand by and let's see what we come up with! :icon_ banana:

enkryptik

Reaction score
Grabbed Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip from Superuser
extracted the su and superuser.apk to root of where adb.exe is.

Some of this you can possibly cut out but I was basically just trying different things til I got it to work plus i wanted the su and superuser.apk on root of sdcard incase needed again.

I'm on win 8 pro so I had to set it to run as admin for adb to even work.

commands:
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs1 /dev/block/system /system

adb push su /sdcard/
adb push superuser.apk /sdcard/
adb shell
su
cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/
cp /sdcard/superuser.apk /system/app/

Don't have to reboot I don't think but always best to so you don't have to set read-only on system again. check to see if you have root with root check basic or whatever app you want.

Let me know if it works for you. I'd even consider starting a remote session and trying it if anyone would be up for it.
I'm pretty sure that's all I had to do.

Last edited:

enkryptik

Reaction score
Since I made a complaint about this earlier....
for those who need it, to enable USB tethering you need to modify "Settings Storage" com.motorola.android.providers.settings, then settings.db, then settings
Along with the entitlement check, change "tether_reverse_nat_enabled" from a "0" to a "1". Reboot and try usb tethering again. I know most people would rather use wifi tether but I will say that 2-3MB/sec download is tons slower than 4-5MB/sec you get with usb tether assuming your lte coverage is good enough.:biggrin:

sorry, forgot to mention you'll need an sql editor to modify these settings. SQLite Editor works excellent.

Last edited:

YelloEye

Reaction score
for those who need it, to enable USB tethering you need to modify "Settings Storage" com.motorola.android.providers.settings, then settings.db, then settings
Along with the entitlement check, change "tether_reverse_nat_enabled" from a "0" to a "1". Reboot and try usb tethering again. I know most people would rather use wifi tether but I will say that 2-3MB/sec download is tons slower than 4-5MB/sec you get with usb tether assuming your lte coverage is good enough.:biggrin:

sorry, forgot to mention you'll need an sql editor to modify these settings. SQLite Editor works excellent.

I'll have to make sure I do this when I get root back.

nastybynature

Reaction score

I need Wifi tether to get internet access on my Nexus 7. Can't USB tether with my tablet or I would use pdanet.

enkryptik

Reaction score
yeah but pdanet requires a program to be installed on pc and it also creates a strange network type. Wifi tether works straight out of the box with the wifi tether for root. I'd still change the entitlement check to 0 on that one though.