Possible to root 4.1.2 on Razr Maxx?

rhwimmers

Reaction score
My phone did an update a while back and I guess it went to 4.1.2 I had not rooted this previously as I was able to use foxfi - but apparently that is now owned by pDAnet, which I have used in the past - but apparently it doesnt work with Jellybean, at least for it working via wifi, opposed to bluetooth or usb tether... Do I have any options to get tether working via wifi?

Krenzy

Reaction score
You can root 4.1.2 and get WiFi tethering that way. There are a few different threads in hkw to do this in the Droid RAZR Support section.

OP
R

rhwimmers

Reaction score
Do you have any specific threads? I went through and tried the following (link to thread below), but it doesnt work (just sits on waiting for device - I can explore phone etc). I noticed this does say that is is for the leaked jellybean - not sure if that matters but the software I have is all oem/updated automatically...

Extra Credit! Get or recover ROOT on your newly Jelly Bean'd XT-912 Droid RAZR or Droid RAZR MAXX!!

The entire utility to root XT-912 on the Leaked Jelly Bean is here (http://vulnfactory.org/public/razr_blade.zip).
  1. Put your phone into USB Debugging
  2. Plug the phone into the stock USB cable and then into the Windows PC (Sorry, no Apple yet)
  3. Make sure that USB is in the Media Device mode
  4. Unzip the tool to a convenient location (I chose my c:\ drive on my PC.)
  5. Run the "run.bat" file.
  6. WATCH AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
  7. Enjoy ROOT!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/234792-foxkat-s-razr-maxx-jelly-bean-leak-classroom-w-mattyp-friends.html

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
This might be what you're looking for.

FoxKat's RAZR/MAXX to JELLY BEAN LEAK Classroom, w/ MattyP and friends!
Folks, thanks to the amazing efforts of Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss), perhaps soon to be better known as "Root Man", we NOW HAVE ROOT for the Jelly Bean Leak!!

The instructions are all incorporated into the utility he's crafted. There's only three things I feel that need to be mentioned, so I'll do it here.
  • First, once the utility reaches the "Cleaning up..." after Phase 4 - near the end, LOOK AT YOUR PHONE, press the Power button and don't be surprised if you find SuperSU asking you to Grant Root Access to ADB Shell. This was not in the directions but it's a crucial part of the process. Otherwise, you're likely to think the root exploit failed, when nothing could be farther from the truth.
  • Second, if you already have Smart Actions running and have set up the Battery Saver action that is being used to exploit the phone's security, it will still work - or at least it did on my phone. What I did was open Smart Actions, open the Battery Saver action, then simply close it, hit Home and proceed as if I had completed the steps mentioned in the exploit.
  • Third, even if while reporting progress it says "0 bytes" in the dialogue (see below), leading you to believe (as it did I), that the data wasn't being written and that the root exploit had failed, on at least MY phone it DID write the data and ROOT was SUCCESSFUL!
1916 KB/s (0 bytes in91992.000s)
2431 KB/s (0 bytes in1867568.000s)
2392 KB/s (0 bytes in574184.000s)
1994 KB/s (0 bytes in63838.000s)

So, go forth and conquer the ROOT for those of us who were unsuccessful in maintaining root, and also for those of us who only decided after the upgrade to delve into the rooted phone arena. either way, it's here for you in all it's Glory. The download link is below, and the credit for the whole thing goes to Dan (@djrbliss).

*******************************************************************************************
Extra Credit! Get or recover ROOT on your newly Jelly Bean'd XT-912 Droid RAZR or Droid RAZR MAXX!!

The entire utility to root XT-912 on the Leaked Jelly Bean is here (http://vulnfactory.org/public/razr_blade.zip).​
  • Put your phone into USB Debugging​
  • Plug the phone into the stock USB cable and then into the Windows PC (Sorry, no Apple yet)​
  • Make sure that USB is in the Media Device mode​
  • Unzip the tool to a convenient location (I chose my c:\ drive on my PC.)​
  • Run the "run.bat" file.​
  • WATCH AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS​
  • Enjoy ROOT!​
Dan Rosenberg's PayPal link (http://goo.gl/zBGb0)

Finally, it's not a bad idea to consider helping support both Matt L Groff (Batman), and Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss), by donating something...anything to them. I did, though it was a small price to pay, to them it doesn't even begin to compensate them for their time and devotion to us in the Android world and specifically us Moto Fanboys and Girls! Links to them are now below their respective utilities in my post above.

Thanks all.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Oh, derp. I just saw your previous post. It worked for me, but I had to go through the process 4 times.

OP
R

rhwimmers

Reaction score
Trying out wifi tether for root users from the market - so far so good, looks a lot like foxfi.