Help rooting Droid Razr 4.1.2?

enkryptik

Reaction score
Unless there is something that I did and completely forgot about which I don't think that's the case...I am stumped and this is driving me crazy.

trishb

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you guys, so much.

Please expound upon this!! When you say you pushed it, you simply used ADB commands from a terminal, or did you use a self-created BAT file? Where did you push SU and superuser.apk to (i.e. what folder(s))? In other words, can you list the steps and commands with full syntax? I, for one, would very much like to know, as I did botch my upgrade and don't have root. :frown: Also, I'm sure there are others in a similar predicament. :hail:

I've got a RAZR MAXX and was running .215 (from instruction here). Somehow I managed to cobble together the instructions (from here, again) on backing down to stock via the utility, and then I was able to load 4.1.2 while keeping root. Heck, I created an account to specifically thank you and everyone else for the instructions. So very sorry that yours got messed up!

TrishB; okay with Windoze troubleshooting since 3.0, but Android, not so much.

blakeslee14

Reaction score
i really hope you guys can figure this out. i have a similar issue. rootkeeper would not restore root after jb update. i have like a half rooted phone right now. super user is there but no root.

that or someone comes out with an easy root method :) here's to hoping

enkryptik

Reaction score
Wait, instructions from this exact thread? Because it worked for me but so far, haven't seen work for anyone else lol. I see that this thread's been viewed a lot and i got likes from it but no confirmation that it worked for them. I really am confused on what the problem is. :(

enkryptik

Reaction score
i really hope you guys can figure this out. i have a similar issue. rootkeeper would not restore root after jb update. i have like a half rooted phone right now. super user is there but no root.

that or someone comes out with an easy root method :) here's to hoping

so you tried restore root from ota rootkeeper but no root?
maybe try to update your superuser.apk from within the actual app which it should fail....
adb shell
su

does it deny you su?

blakeslee14

Reaction score
it does fail trying to update.....

after i type adb shell... i get shell@cdma_spyder.....i type su.... and i get shell@cdma_spyder... again

not sure what that means....

enkryptik

Reaction score
it does fail trying to update.....

after i type adb shell... i get shell@cdma_spyder.....i type su.... and i get shell@cdma_spyder... again

not sure what that means....

Does it have a $ or # after you type su?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

YelloEye

Reaction score
Found su-backup, sitting in /system/usr/we-need-root. No idea what to do from here.

trishb

Reaction score
Wait, instructions from this exact thread? Because it worked for me but so far, haven't seen work for anyone else lol. I see that this thread's been viewed a lot and i got likes from it but no confirmation that it worked for them. I really am confused on what the problem is. :(

If you're replying to me, nope, not this exact thread, but between the .215 classroom thread and another one in this forum. Shoot, the other was the one where Foxcat (I think) mentioned doing the root/unroot/save thing multiple times with Voodoo before proceeding with the jellybean install? Yeah, like I said I'm lame with Android.

blakeslee14

Reaction score
well i was just screwing around last night trying to fix my phone which was "half" rooted, as i forgot to update the binaries.

i downloaded this restore root for jelly bean program. i plugged my phone in, clicked the batch file, it started automatically. The program rebooted my phone once and presto it was fixed. It may be just more dumb luck than anything else. but oh well!

enkryptik

Reaction score
That's odd that nothing is consistent. Glad you have root though.

YelloEye

Reaction score
That's odd that nothing is consistent. Glad you have root though.

Any luck last night?

So here's my process, I can gain SU, I picked apart Matt's FixRoot batch file and used the commands one at a time to see what works, here's what I have so far:
Code:
adb kill-server > nul
adb start-server > nul
ping 1.1.1.1 -n 1 -w 500 > nul
adb wait-for-device devices > nul
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/system /system'" > nul
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'cp /system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup /system/bin/su'" > nul
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'chmod 6755 /system/bin/su'" > nul
adb shell "/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup -c 'rm /system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup'" > nul
adb shell "su -c 'mount -o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/system /system'"
At this point in the batch file it calls for
Code:
adb push su /sdcard/su
I still get a device offline error. If I "adb shell" I can run SU and get #root privileges but still can't get the device to be "online". Bit out of my depth at this point.

Last edited:

enkryptik

Reaction score
His batch goes beyond what I did including different file system it appears. If you get root privilege you should be able to remount system as read write though.