Help Me Decided Which Droid To Get

Snapple

Reaction score
I can upgrade my phone tomorrow. I know I want some sort of droid, but I am having a hard time deciding which one, even after doing a lot of reading up.

Which one would you pick and why?

Crap I just noticed the typo in the title. :/

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right now, your only real options are the Moto Droid or the Droid Incredible. However, the Droid Xtreme/Shadow is about to be released (rumored to be July). Of the three, I would go with the Xtreme as it has the best hardware. If you want a physical keyboard, the Motorola Droid is your only option. Once again though, the Droid 2 will be released in the next few months and will have better hardware then the current Droid along with the physical keyboard. Rumors of a Droid Pro aren't even worth considering since you are ready to upgrade now. My advice is to hold off one more month and pick up that beautiful Motorola Xtreme.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid- You want a phone with a very large hacking community, keyboard, and you don't mind a phone that isn't too fast without rooting it.
Incredible- You want Sense UI and a good camera, and you don't mind subpar battery life/GPU.
Droid X- You want a phone with a 4.3 inch screen, and the revamped MotoBlur.
Droid 2- You want to wait for an upgraded version of the Droid.

J

Johnly

get the latest and greatest...we all would:) Ninja blur can be shut!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
To be honest, its a hard choice if u never had any Android phone before. It was easier when it was the Droid vs. Inc. Now u have the Droid X and the Droid 2 in the mix...

Decide if u want a big screen/phone or regular size screen/phone, physical keyboard or none. If u can decide on those things it will make a choice a lil easier.

Of course its easy to say the newest ones, (since the Inc came out in May, its still a new phone; but with the the X coming its hard to believe...lol.) but the Droid price cannot be beat if you look around for the best deal.

Guchi

Reaction score
To be honest, its a hard choice if u never had any Android phone before. It was easier when it was the Droid vs. Inc. Now u have the Droid X and the Droid 2 in the mix...

Decide if u want a big screen/phone or regular size screen/phone, physical keyboard or none. If u can decide on those things it will make a choice a lil easier.

Of course its easy to say the newest ones, (since the Inc came out in May, its still a new phone; but with the the X coming its hard to believe...lol.) but the Droid price cannot be beat if you look around for the best deal.

Actually as far as right now the only one you can get is the MOTO Droid since the HTC is back ordered and the other two aren't even out yet. HTC inc is worth the wait over the MOTO though (i have both)

OP
S

Snapple

Reaction score
Right now, your only real options are the Moto Droid or the Droid Incredible. However, the Droid Xtreme/Shadow is about to be released (rumored to be July). Of the three, I would go with the Xtreme as it has the best hardware. If you want a physical keyboard, the Motorola Droid is your only option. Once again though, the Droid 2 will be released in the next few months and will have better hardware then the current Droid along with the physical keyboard. Rumors of a Droid Pro aren't even worth considering since you are ready to upgrade now. My advice is to hold off one more month and pick up that beautiful Motorola Xtreme.

I never had a touch phone before so I am used to a physical keyboard. I figure even if I hate the touch keyboard at first I will get used to it in about a week.

I’m not sure how much longer my BlackBerry will live. If I’m still unsure what I want by tomorrow and the X comes out on the 19th, then I guess could just wait a couple days and then later take advantage of the 30 day satisfaction thing.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the Droid X? All I have found is the screen size, which is bigger than my whole phone. I am worried about it fitting into my pocket. I can’t use a case at work.

What exactly makes the X better though? I don’t really see myself using the HDMI output. I really don’t care about my phone being a really good video camera. I rarely use the video camera on my BlackBerry. I do how ever take pictures. Reviews say you won’t notice the difference between 6 and 8 megapixels unless you blow it up. The camera sfotware doesn’t seem to work too great according to the engadget review. Multitouch keyboard is cool though. Is there something amazing about it that I’m missing?

Hacking community of the droid is a plus. I’m assuming it’s still a hell of a lot faster than my BlackBerry Pearl.

How short of a battery life does the Incredible have? I have read that it’s short, but haven’t seen actual hours. I’m kinda paranoid about that. I also heard the screen can shatter easily.

OP
S

Snapple

Reaction score

Actually as far as right now the only one you can get is the MOTO Droid since the HTC is back ordered and the other two aren't even out yet. HTC inc is worth the wait over the MOTO though (i have both)

Yikes it says it says it will be shipped by 7/16.

Been reading this. That may be a deal breaker for the incredible.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-tech-issues/41486-incredibles-battery-life-not-incredible.html

danh63

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I not sure which one to get. Coming from a Blackberry.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
easy... just get them all and switch off everyday

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To be honest I had the 8525 way back and found myself using the keypad less and less..It was a brick as well...then I went iPhone and got used to just the screen and was thinking of the Droid but I happened to go into the Verizon store when they opened the box for the Incredible...It came late or something but the guy was so exicted to open it I ask what the fuss was about...needless to say I put the Droid down and left with their 1st Incredible. A couple of my deck hands have the Droid and are pretty happy with it but their is a big difference with the speed of the phone and they say they won't mind losing the key pad....I am looking to see what the Droid X is about and their is soon another HTC phone being released with 1.5 snapdragon so it will only get better....What ever you choose it will IMHO be better than an iPhone and something better than what you pick will be out in weeks but you will still be using an awesome device...Size and keypad are your biggest factors in what you choose...I won't mind the size so when one of the bigger phones comes out I will bring my wife over from iPhone, get the bigger newer phone opening her account and we will swap phones...she doesn't want anything bigger than my incredible...

xxxsteveoxxx

Reaction score
I just got the Moto Droid and its awesome, but my 30 day return policy will let me return it for the droid x , and I will.

soba1

Reaction score
Depends On Your Needs

My take is this.....
Having a Moto Droid this is how I am looking at it.

If you are going to be a heavy email-er texting, business user.
I would go with the Droid 2.
Reason being is that having a physical keyboard, gives the phone
a desktop feel. So for editing docs on the fly doing emails the
feel is going to be drastically different. Hey I like the d-pad on the Droid.
Also before any slams android os about email. I did read where the X will
have or eventually have exchange.

I am going with the X and here is why. If u are leaning to the multimedia
entertainment side I would say the X might be your choice simply because
of the screen size, hdmi outputs. Don't know if the 2 will have that. Also
I am more of a gamer, news reader doc reader etc. So that sheer screen size is going to be nice. I have this book I downloaded and liking to
read befor I go to bed that will be a plus. I do text and email a lot. But the other things I like to do with my phone are making me lean toward the
X.

So in the end it is what u are planning mostly to use your phone.
Multimedia ent driven X
Professional business D2

Geesh I bet no one ever thought professional and Droid would be used together.
Late.;)

Mule65

Reaction score
Get DX. Swype is really cool. I don't use the slideout anymore.

clucernoni

Reaction score
I wouldn't get one now, u will regret it in 2 months with the Droid X and Droid 2 out...just wait a little longer and your patience will be rewarded.