Need Help deciding on a new Android Phone.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Okay, folks. My beloved Droid failed this past week, it was acting crazy, and I took it to a Verizon store. They informed me I was out of warranty, so I needed to contact the insurance company for a replacement. After looking at my phone, however, the tech at the store told me that doing a factory reset would clear up my problem. Due to the blizzard around here, I didn't get a chance to do the reset until Thursday. After doing the factory reset, I was prompted to program my phone. After 4 attempts, it would not program, so I called customer service and after attempting to program manually, we determined my phone is dead...

So, I am eligible for an upgrade, and I need some help deciding on my next Android phone. I am a Verizon customer, and I can't decide which phone I want. I have narrowed it down to three, nad I would like some honest pros and cons about the following 3 phones:

Droid Pro

Droid X

Droid 2.

I have looked them up on the Verizon website, and I am unable to decide. Some honest input would help, since I am not entirely sure which phone I want.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In all honesty??? None of those. I would reactivate a different phone for a while. The Thunderbolt is coming out the end of Feb; the DX2 (dual core) and D3 will be out in Mar or April; and the Bionic (dual core and LTE) is coming out in early Q2.

If you HAVE to have one now, i would go with the X, but only on a year contract.

tappin like a mutha

OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score
The fact that dual core, and more advanced phones are on the way is irrelevant, as I need a phone now. Waiting is not an option. I also do not have a spare phone lying around to activate temporarily. I am opening a business soon, and the phone is needed for that as well as personal use.

So, I reiterate, I would like pros and cons on the following phones.

Droid X

Droid 2

Droid Pro

Last edited:

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
TimChgo9-I'm in the same boat. My Droid 1 has developed problems since the last OTA update. I am considering the same line up of phones.

I have decided on the Droid 2. My Brother had the Droid X, so I've gotten to play with it extensively. While it does a lot of cool media things-I want a physical keyboard. The display is nice and large, but the virtual keyboard is the deal killer for me.

I've read some of the things about the Droid Pro lacking some of the feature of some of the other Droid phones- I don't want anything less powerful than what I already have and I'm not intending to use it on an enterprise system, so I ruled it out also.

I know you mentioned using it for your business-You really need and how you're going to use it to evaluate what would benefit you most and go with that.

author

Reaction score
Droid 2 for sure.

Everytime I think I'm to the point of only using the virtutal keyboard, I find the sliding physical keyboard's suddenly still needed for speed and accuracy.

Physical keyboards still rule. dancedroid

--Ralph

A

abn75

IF you want a physical keyboard the D2G for sure. If a physical keyboard is not a big deciding factor for you, then the DX. I wouldn't take the droid pro myself, and know of no one who has one, so i cannot comment on it.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I own the d2 and the DX. Personally I prefer the X only due to the large screen size. It is much nicer to work with and you get used to it VERY quickly!

I also was never really one to use the keyboards all that much.

However I agree with waiting a week and get the Thunderbolt. If you are desperate you can return what you get now within 14 days for the T-Bolt!

OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score
A physical keyboard is a necessity. I don't like the virtual type, because on the Droid the virtual keyboard was almost unusable For short ( 1 or 2 word) replies to messages, the virtual keyboard was fine, for anything longer, I needed the physical one.

I am looking for a capable, reliable replacement for my current Droid. (Don't suggest the iPhone, I won't go near an Apple product)

I think I am down to the Droid Pro and the Droid 2.... Do either one of those have Motoblur???

MrKleen

Reaction score
It sounds like the droid 2 is your only option. I don't think you would be happy with a tiny little keyboard on the droid pro. Blur is a fact of life with Motorola since the D1.

Last edited:
OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score
It sounds like the droid 2 is your only option. I don't think you would be happy with a tiny little keyboard on the droid pro. Blur is a fact of life with Motorola since the D1.

What is Blur, exactly? Is it just a GUI on top of the OS? I suppose I can live with it. I am starting a business, and my phone is going to be an important part of it, but it doesn't have to be a "business cell phone", because most of my work will be done on the lap top, I just need it for my partners to get in touch with me, the home phone, with two teenagers and a two middle schoolers in the house is just not an option for business related calls...

I guess I'll go have a look at the D2G at the Verizon store tomorrow, or something. I won't be upgrading for about another week or more. Anyway.

Pros and cons of the D2G?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
In all honesty??? None of those. I would reactivate a different phone for a while. The Thunderbolt is coming out the end of Feb; the DX2 (dual core) and D3 will be out in Mar or April; and the Bionic (dual core and LTE) is coming out in early Q2.

If you HAVE to have one now, i would go with the X, but only on a year contract.

tappin like a mutha

+1 for Husker's response. I personally would go with the HTC Thunderbolt, down the road. It seems to be a very well made phone, by HTC - a company that isn't into screwing with their customers like some of the other manufacturers. ::cough, cough::

-Mike

Psj77

Reaction score
I have the droid 2 global and I love it!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Thunderbolt comes out the 14th according to bestbuy. Hold out until then. 4g phone and unlike motorola they allow rooting.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score
Thunderbolt comes out the 14th according to bestbuy. Hold out until then. 4g phone and unlike motorola they allow rooting.

Depends on what the upgrade price is. I have limited funds. I work part time and I am trying to get a business going. Besides, if there is no physical keyboard, it's a non starter.

OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score

Depends on what the upgrade price is. I have limited funds. I work part time and I am trying to get a business going. Besides, if there is no physical keyboard, it's a non starter. Also, I have no interest in rooting, so, that makes no difference to me.

Last edited: