Has anyone modified car dock to fit case?

jodyberry

Reaction score
I have the seidio case on my X and love it but I thought I read somewhere that it wouldn't fit in the car dock with a case.

I also thought someone said it's a fairly easy modification (via Dremel) to make it fit. Does anyone have that modification?

I'd like to make sure it CAN be done before I purchase the dock.

Thanks all...

bkendrick

Reaction score
I have the Naztec Vertex and I have read it's very similar to the Seidio. I modified the OEM car mount with an X-acto knife. Looks fine and works flawlessly. However, a drumel would have probably worked better.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

OP
J

jodyberry

Reaction score
I have the Naztec Vertex and I have read it's very similar to the Seidio. I modified the OEM car mount with an X-acto knife. Looks fine and works flawlessly. However, a drumel would have probably worked better.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

Thanks man!

What part of the car mount did you need to modify? Was it around where the connector is?

Thanks again...

bkendrick

Reaction score
There are 2 raised areas that sit on the back of the phone. I had to shave these off.

Then I had to shave the plastic around the micro USB plug on the bottom. I found this to be much easier if you remove he 4 screws on the back and seperate the two halves.

Finally, there is a raised lip going around the front and left/right edges. I had to remove the lip about a quarter of an inch on both edges. The phone still stays snug due to the rest of the front lip and spring latch that closes the top.

I've never had a single loose power plug, stability, or failure to see the car mode magnet problem.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

bkendrick

Reaction score
No problem....
I also forgot to mention that the car mount comes with a insert for using the dock without a case. All mods to the dock were made with the insert removed. Just wanted to clarify that before anyone started hacking away plastic only to find an insert halfway through.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

attic.505

Reaction score
I used low grit sandpaper on mine just were it needed it. It was easier and cleaner than the dermal. Plus it fit tighter. I can't believe they didn't think that we would actually use cases.lol that dock is expensive.
Then I bought the otter box.and got a new gps dock from radio shack. I can't stand when it doesn't look good, so take your time.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

xCore

Reaction score
be extremely careful that the usb port fits clean and smooth, if there's any drag or the alignment isn't right it will wear your charging port out in no time

Ickythekid

Reaction score
The car dock is by far one of the best accessories. Could I see a pic of your successful mod please?

OP
J

jodyberry

Reaction score
OK, I just got the car mount from ebay and modified it for my X and it fits perfect!

I did use a Dremel but was careful to check the fit every so often.

Although, the thumb screw already busted off the suction mount. SO much for quality control. And I didn't even tighten it that hard!!

Thanks for all the info on modifying it!!

bkendrick

Reaction score
Sweet! I've had my modified car dock for 6 months and its by far my favorite accessory.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

attic.505

Reaction score
Yes it was important to fit the phone every other layer, and be cornell with the ports. I am using the otterbox now and had to get a large gps mount from radio shack.

jwalz

Reaction score
I have the Cyclops case and am wondering if its possible to modify it for this case knowing its a bit bigger then the others and would the magnet work through the case

bkendrick

Reaction score
The Cyclops looks large. May or may not work. You would probably have to get a little drastic with modifications. See if you can get specs on the naztec vertex compared to the Cyclops. I have the vertex and it works.

DX. CFU. LIB 2.0.1

jwalz

Reaction score
Ok thanks ill check it out