Droid X Cardock will fit with case on

PorcPuffer

Reaction score
I just purchased my car dock and shell/holster combo. There is a removeable instert in the car dock that states, "For use with Motorola Shadow (remove when using genuine motorola protective case)"

I thought the use of motorola shadow was weird but it is great that it will fit with some cases on and not have to remove the cases each time. Here is a horrible quality picture of the dock and instert.

Attachments

• 0_IMAG0138.jpg
    0_IMAG0138.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 638

hendrix

Reaction score
Holy crap, that is awesome. The reason i never got a case for my Droid was because i didn't want to have to take it on and off when using my docks. Will definitely look into this.

hendrix

Reaction score
FYI, the case that verizon is selling for the droid x DOES NOT work with the car mount. Guess it is going back.

hendrix

Reaction score
Dunno, the dock says that it works with the official motorola case. Have yet to see one.

jrUTlaw

Reaction score
I bought this dock and a Motorola case (black leather with kickstand) and it DOES NOT fit even with the removable piece taken out. I returned the car dock.

Gigarip1

Reaction score
I bought the silicone cover and it fits, at least it did in the store. We tried a couple of others in the store including the color ones and nothing else fit.

Woehoss

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the car dock for my husband for his birthday since it's supposed to work with the case on it. Tried it out in the store with the shell holster and silicone covers, and it does not fit. Has anyone found this genuine motorola case? I tried looking at the website, but their site is apparently down.

Gigarip1

Reaction score
I bought the silicone cover and it fits, at least it did in the store. We tried a couple of others in the store including the color ones and nothing else fit.
I just went and tried mine and it did NOT fit. I don't know how the guy in the store got it to fit. I does however look like with a couple of simple mods it may work. I may have to sacrifice mine to find out.

ninjabox

Reaction score
it doesn't fit with my case either. Thats why I bought a silicone case. They're so easy to remove, pop in the cubby on the door, and then slap it on when im getting out.

Song0330

Reaction score
The carbon fiber case also does not fit. I am eagerly anticipating the find of a case that does, that would be awesome.

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Case

I just purchased my car dock and shell/holster combo. There is a removeable instert in the car dock that states, "For use with Motorola Shadow (remove when using genuine motorola protective case)"

I thought the use of motorola shadow was weird but it is great that it will fit with some cases on and not have to remove the cases each time. Here is a horrible quality picture of the dock and instert.

OK, I have the Shell/Holster case, I was going to buy the car dock, but was afraid it would not fit. So your saying by removing that piece it WILL fit. Maybe I should try in the store.

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Shell/Holster

Okay, I went to Verizon and played around with the Car Mount and my Droid X with the Shell/Holster Combo. Heres what I had to do to make it work. 1st Take out the insert of the car mount, it kinda snaps off, then as you slide your phone in, you'll notice its being held back on the right side of the micro USB connector. Its only a small raised up line, which I simply filed down flush with the rest of the cradle, and my phone then fit. It's really snug, but works well, just for testing reasons I went for a ride with it on some back roads which were bumpy and it remained connected and well in place. NOW IF for some reason later on you plan on not using a case, this modification may make it fit a little sloppy, but the USB should still keep it from going to far. I wish I thought to take pictures of the process to fully explain.

SO There is a method of making the Car Mount to work without waiting for a revised one to appear on the market. All depends on how much you want it, or how long you want to wait for someone else to come out with one.

scottm264

Reaction score
Arcstriker- Thanks for the details. I am going to go to the store and take a look. Has anyone else found a different case that works with the car mount? -Scott

Arcstriker

Reaction score
Update

**** UPDATE **** I actually ended up filing more on the inner pocket to get it to fit a little more secure. what would happen was it wasn't sitting in the USB as far as it should have been, so by shaving off the inside of the front pocket it allowed the phone to sit better in to the USB port allowing it to charge. Before sometimes it would stop charging, then charge, then stop... so on. It puzzles me that they would make this to use with a case, however, what case? maybe the silicone ones would work with it, but none that have a holster... I mean really who is going to put this monster in their pocket, between the phone and my baby making parts I'd be out of room.