Kill Car mount or phone case?

Maxwell

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a car mount from Verizon that will recharge my Droid X while docked. Well the issue now is that my Droid X will not fit into the car mount because the phone case is in the way. I dont want to take the case off everytime i want to dock my phone in the car...

The car mount did have an option that allows the docking area to expand out (little plastic thing slides out opening up more room/space) for a phone that may have a case scenario....but even that was too small for my phone + case to fit. My phone case is super slim and tight on the phone...any thinner and it will be like seran wrap which renders the case useless to protectin the phone from scratches and potential soft drops.

Should i dump the car mount and get another brand or find a better phone case...
Any suggestions?

(Im kinda disappointed at the docking station...the makers should have known people would have cases for such an expensive phone...)

scf

Reaction score
Try a little dremmeling if you can't find a better dock?

moonieboonie

Reaction score
I'm having the same exact problem...posting here so I will see the replies! I've been taking mine off when I need to charge in the car. Pain in the butt, but it's my only option for now.

stuatc

Reaction score
I ended up using the standard suction cup mount from Verizon (has a long arm leading to the phone clip). I can rotate it to use phone either way and my cord reaches the phone in the mount as it's near the edge of the dash. I have the phone clipped in tight enough to hold it well but i can remove the phone without having to open the arms. The phone has never fallen out. The dock for the X is going back as it's useless as I need to have a case on the phone.

Kandiru

Reaction score
Kill mount, kill mount!

I have an Amzer leather limited edition snap-on so both the home and car OEM mounts are out.

You will do much better with a MOBI car mount. The bottom holders slide so you can easily charge. I never used the A/C vent hooks, instead filled the hole with silicone and slapped a Velcro on it, then velcro over dash, so i can remove it. Once i adjusted the sliders i filled the remaining space with epoxy, then sanded and painted flat black for a professional look. BT digital link through Conects2 BTAV01>PA-20GM with Y-piggyback harness >OnStar module >GM 2008 LAN navi radio never sounded better. No wire splicing, iPod shows ID3 tags on navi radio, and now the BTAV01 inputs in the PA-20GM aux stereo. Now i need to muster some nerve for a dash-pull and hidden 12v adapter with plug coming out near the MOBI for ease of use.

Mobi Universal GPS Vent Mount

You can get it $3-10.

Last edited:

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have been thinking a universal one.
51q9-BEz3AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

dfmccarty

Reaction score
You do know that there is an insert in the windshield mount that can be removed to make more room for a case. Personally, I have the holster so I don't use a case.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You do know that there is an insert in the windshield mount that can be removed to make more room for a case. Personally, I have the holster so I don't use a case.

Oh cool maybe I will re-look at that mount

Doyer

Reaction score
Well if you really like your case, I'd suppose you'd have to REDRUM the Verizon mount and get a mount that fits with a case like the Mega Grip:

Arkon Mega Grip Smartphone Mount for Motorola Droid X, Droid, and Devour

sdPmO.jpg
JRIkR.jpg

Fk43u.jpg

That's the beanbag / windshield suction mount. You can detach the suction part from the beanbag if you want and mount it on your windshield, and it rotates 360 degrees. Pop in a car charger and boom, you're in business. It's only $25 too for both.

Horch it

Reaction score
well for me the car dock works like a charm but thats because I have a dedicated nuvi ball custom holder that just happens to be the same diameter as the verizon car dock and voila, just remove the windshield arm and articulate the ball holder to the nuvi ball. The nuvi ball in mounted on a powder coated, double round vent mount that are about four inches apart...remove the the air vents, slide in the double rings with ball mount and it'd done. It even has plenty of room for the charger cable on the back...now to get the aux cable to the radio...might have to go through the air vent to the back of the radio with aux line.

to continue....since i want to use the car dock for charging and nav, I was able to return my case and get credit to buy the verizon leather holder... plus, i use the body glove case for extended times out of car, for added protection...function over form.

Last edited:

meekster72

Reaction score
I have the same dang problem and it sucks!!! I paid $40 for the motorola window mount car dock and $20 for my case/holster. Wish i had done a little investigating before wasting my $.

onlinehandyman

Reaction score
I understand completely being I had the same problem - holster and Motorola's mount. I solved the problem by removing a small piece of plastic along the front of the car mount.

I very carefully used a utility knife and some really fine sandpaer to mold the new shape exactly the way it needed to be - WORKS GREAT!

You do need to be really careful though and take your time not to mess up a $40 car mount.