Hacking/tweaking 3G settings and the radio driver

goofycoolguy

Reaction score
Ive tried 5 times to do the second part. but every time i hook the phone in pc mode and turn on Radio Comm i never get a green light in Radio detection. Help please :'/

Droid2GlobalNoob

Reaction score
Hi, i'm very interested in this speed hack to see if it works. I downloaded ES file explorer, and when i access the "data" file, i only have two options. One is like color note, and com.mufumbo.craigslist.notification.androidtemp. I also can't find the option to click on the "Blue SD Card". Any help would be appreciated, also I am rooted.

kolesar007

Reaction score
Hi to all. I had problem with my D2G and that is that I dont get voice when Im connected to gsm 2G network. On 3G voice works normal, data works on both with no problems. I search to maybe upgrade radio of the phone but i dont find anything like that.
Is there anybody with souch problem?

And another question what is default value of 01C2 location?

BR
Sandi

Last edited:

slimpirudude

Reaction score
over my 6 month tenure at droid forums, I have learned quite a bit about things I'd have never given thought to. Rooting and romming are pretty basic, but modding system files, sbfing (your first time can be a self induced stress nightmare), and changing the way your radio works get a bit more interesting.

I thought I'd share a couple things I have picked up, one of which will work for pretty much any android phone and the other probably only applies to the Droid 2 Global. This is tweaking your software 3G settings, and modding your radio driver to unthrottle your 3G connection.
Note: This tweak/hack basically bridges the 3G speed increase tweak, a fix for the D2Gs weak GSM signal, and a driver/hardware level unthrottle into a two part process

To start, I assume you have the speedtest.net and rootexplorer apps.

The 3G tweak is as follows:
Open root explorer (or whichever app you use to edit system files) and navigate to /data, long click local.prop and scroll down to open in text editor. at the end of local.prop add the following lines and an extra empty line at the end, then reboot. voila you should have a more consistent, less laggy 3G connection.

the code is (much thanks goes out to Zeppelinrox and his v6 supercharger script):
ro.ril.hsxpa=3
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=28
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=9

again, save this WITH an extra empty line at the end, reboot and you're done. you should notice overall smoother download speeds, higher upload, and somewhat faster ping.

Now for the fun part! you can try this at your own risk, I have had no problems in the execution of this hack. Much thanks goes out to DF user monks700 for helping me figure things out.

The Radiocomm radio driver Throttle Remover hack!:
(as quoted from his email to me, slightly modified for easability)

Okay so this should be relatively straightforward. Radiocomm will run on W7 32-bit (also 64 bit. ignore the warnings/errors). You need version 11.11.7 (download link is at the bottom of this post). The MA should be set to common->MDM 6x00, under the menu settings->usb you should select PST driver. Then plug in the phone and put it in PC mode. Radio detection should be green. A few drivers may install. Then use the arrow buttons on the right of the screen to scroll to the P2K 4 tab. Select it. In the STElem / RDELEM box you will see a few text fields. change element id to 01C2, record to 0001, offset is unchanged and length to 0001. Data is 01. Press STELEM (one of the buttons in the box). The text box at the upper middle of Radiocomm will change to green and tell you that things were successful (if you scroll down a bit, that is) Go ahead and reboot your phone, it should be all set.

And thats all. I personally have noticed a definite increase and/or sustained rate of download speeds when in a high speed 3G area versus having the speeds jump around before being pushed down.

Links:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7632904/RadioComm_v11.11.7_Install.msi, courtesy of pilonull - Works with 64 bit windows 7!

First off thanks to the op, I'm always looking for ways to speed up 3g. My problem is this.. the first hack where you put the lines of code in local prop. I copied them and placed them there with extra line as per the op. Then I rebooted and found data didn't work at all..speedtest app and fcc speedtest (which i had just used before reboot) both fc and wouldnt open. I do not know why it breaks my data completley?! Can someone please help me out here as i am in need of it to work since been getting slow speeds lately and also being throttled. As for 2nd hack, it looks kinda intimidating as your changing radio settings, and o havent tried it yet. Before i do, can anyone verify the 2nd hack actually works and notcied a change, and that nothing bad came from it(charges ect). All help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Kimo91

Reaction score
My problem with the second part is I don't know what initial choice to make in the drop down box, do I just not pick anything because the option the OP said to use isn't one of the options on the box

Sent from my Boeing approved rooted and Apex'd Gingerbread D2G

Cris_09

Reaction score
do you have to be rooted? (my phone says its rooted but i cannot give wifi signal to other devices (brings up verizon mobile hotspot)) my phone wont let me open Root Manager. After i allowed superuser it just force closes. :(

Sent from "rooted" Droid 2 Global Gingerbread .607

Cris_09

Reaction score
i used ES file Explorer and i couldnt find local.prop under /data. only thing there were two folders: colornote and Mortplayer.

Cris_09

Reaction score
ok i got Root Explorer to work. but this will work on mi rooted D2G Gingerbread .607? right?

OP
kptphalkon

kptphalkon

Reaction score
I don't know if this works in gingerbread. I tried running an aggressive 3g tweak on the froyo kernel CM7 and it broke my 3g and wifi, and I had to sbf and reflash to get wifi working again (restoring original build.prop didn't help)

Use at your own risk.

Cris_09

Reaction score
i tried it and my 3G with 4 signal bars give me 1000kbps to 2500kbps. wen signal bars is low and i have 1X i get the usual 100 kbps :)

slimpirudude

Reaction score
i tried it and my 3G with 4 signal bars give me 1000kbps to 2500kbps. wen signal bars is low and i have 1X i get the usual 100 kbps :)

Wow...which one did u use to getthose results? The build prop or one where hook it up to computer and all that?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Cris_09

Reaction score
I used d build prop I guess. I js followed d instructions on dis thread :p lol used speedtest.net .. I never hooked it up to d computer.

Blunderbuss

Reaction score
So instead of using STELM I used RDELM for all you people who were wondering what the stock value is supposed to be. The data value I got by reading the element was 01, the same as the OP was having us set it at...so I'm not convinced that this hack actually does anything (maybe if VZW throttles you it changes this value and I haven't been throttled? Or maybe another tweak I've installed has changed this element, but I don't think flashing anything through CWR can affect the radio when the bootloader is locked).

ryancoleman

Reaction score
I tried the first hack in the local.prop and noticed an instant increase in data speed. I must say I am impressed, thanks for the info. I'll try the second and see if it makes any difference.

ryancoleman

Reaction score
I want to try the radiocomm hack, but first I would like to know if I can and how to reverse this if I am unhappy with the results. So has anybody done this and then undone it?