Alternate 3G(and Edge) Speed Increase Hack

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I have written a review on MY experience using 2 different 3G speed increase hacks. If you don't want to read all of this, feel free to read the Requirements and instillation. If it does not work, no worries, it is easily removed.

Disclaimer:
As usual I take no responsibility for any damage you may do to your phone. Nor do I promise you this will actually work for you!

Requirements:
Root - I believe this can actually be done with out root, but I dont feel like digging up the instructions on how to make the system writable, pull the build.prop file, how to edit it yourself, push it back and then unmounted the system as writable. However if some one does feel like it, I will be glad to link to the instructions here.

Background:
I have found an alternate hack besides NirtiScript. In my experience, NitriScript was not kind to my average speed. My speed test graphs showed very pronounced spikes. In other words my speed was not very consistent at all. I am not bashing the developer of the NitriScript. I appreciate his efforts, but his script was also written in away that is rather secretive. On Monday of this week, I sent him a PM asking him to reveal the source code of his script. At this point in time he has not been online since he posted the script so he has not replied to my request. I like the fact the method I am posting here is completely "open source" so to speak and I did see some increase in speed. Maybe it is purely coincidence, but with the open source nature of this hack, if it doesn't work, it is easily remove.

Information:
This method is universal and can be used on any android phone on any network, but may take some tweaking. I have used the hack as is not tweaking it at all

CONCLUSION:
Short Version - Wile I appreciate the effort of the developer of the NirtiScript, I felt the build.prop hack I am linking to below was the better method of the two. I saw higher speeds and generally more reliable speeds.

Detailed Version - If you want the full details of my findings: here

Installation:
For those who feel comfortable doing this, you can simply copy and paste this in to your build.prop. If you already feel comfortable doing this, then I doubt I need to tell you how.

If you want a zip you can flash, it can be obtained in the thread linked to below. You need to do the following.
boot into Clockworkmod Recovery using Droid 2 Bootstrapper
make nandroid backup if you like.
select install zip from sd card.
select 3g_edge_update.zip
Reboot

[Mod] Improved 3G/Edge Speeds

OP
Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
This is for gsm networks I believe.

Is it? It seemed to make a difference for me. Maybe it was just coincidence and happen to be less network usage at the time of my speed tests but then again my speed tests reflect an increase from 500 to 700kbps during peak hours so I believe it works. As I said it most likley need to be tweaked for optimal use, which is part of the reason I posted it here.

Snow02

Reaction score
This is for gsm networks I believe.

Is it? It seemed to make a difference for me. Maybe it was just coincidence and happen to be less network usage at the time of my speed tests but then again my speed tests reflect an increase from 500 to 700kbps during peak hours so I believe it works. As I said it most likley need to be tweaked for optimal use, which is part of the reason I posted it here.

Evdo has so much variability in speeds it's easy to fall prey to the placebo effect.

OP
Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Evdo has so much variability in speeds it's easy to fall prey to the placebo effect.

Well considering I always got ~500 kbps download during peak hours and this is with several speed tests over about a 2 week period even from different locations, then suddenly I see a 200kbps jump after installing this, I find it very hard to believe it is simply a placebo effect. If it were based on a simple oh i tested one second and got 500. Then I did this hack, and got 700, I would go as far as to say you MIGHT be right, but when you go from a consistent speed and suddenly see a consistent increase, I dont think that can be classified as a placebo.

Snow02

Reaction score
I don't know. My speeds are great downtown on the weekends:
uploadfromtaptalk1305619761743.jpg

And slower in the suburbs, from 0.4 to 0.8 depending on the day and time.
uploadfromtaptalk1305619824530.jpg

These are on unhacked gingerbread.

I added the build.prop edits out of curiosity, but I sincerely doubt it will make a difference. I'll post back if it does.

hgrimberg

Reaction score
What if you are running a custom rom like Fission, Fenom or Angel? Can you add this mod to your build.prop or it will be redundant since these roms have this mod already included?

OP
Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I don't know. My speeds are great downtown on the weekends:

And slower in the suburbs, from 0.4 to 0.8 depending on the day and time.

These are on unhacked gingerbread.

I added the build.prop edits out of curiosity, but I sincerely doubt it will make a difference. I'll post back if it does.
Let me know. Interested to here your results. I consistently noticed getting .5 at home in my apartment during the day during prime time so to speak, before about 5PM..this was tested over a period of about 2 weeks. I tried other locations around the city during prime time as well even on weekends, inside and out. Always got a .5. After this I get .8 every single time I have ever tried during the day during prime time.

What if you are running a custom rom like Fission, Fenom or Angel? Can you add this mod to your build.prop or it will be redundant since these roms have this mod already included?
To my knowledge none of these roms have this applied, however, I believe the method your refer to his the same as Nitriscript. That hack did nto work for me, so I cant tell you if it would be redundant but it is two different methods.

Bobby Sweethearts

Reaction score
I flashed and can not really tell a difference, I usually get speeds of 3megs down and 1.7megs up I will have to test when I am at home

hgrimberg

Reaction score
I applied this mod to the build.prop file and there has been a real change on my 3G speeds. Just FYI, I am on GSM.
I used the app called Speedtest.net and before applying the mod my results were the following:
Ping: 544ms Download: 37Kbps Upload: 43Kbps
Just in case I ran 3 tests but all of them were around those numbers.

Then, after applying this mod, my results were the following:
Ping: 111ms Download: 1197Kbps Upload: 779Kbps
I also ran 3 tests just in case and the numbers were around these ones allthough a bit different like in this case:
Ping: 255ms D: 807 U: 145

Anyways, this is very odd. There is a huge improvement in Download and Upload speeds but then the Ping is being reduced by almost half or even below that.
What is happening here? Is this good?

OP
Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I flashed and can not really tell a difference, I usually get speeds of 3megs down and 1.7megs up I will have to test when I am at home
Sorry to hear that. Like I said, no promises it will work, but 3/2 megabits is pretty good. I would be more then happy with 3 megabits download considering I got 2mbps on my underpowered Moto Backflip on ATT.

the Ping is being reduced by almost half or even below that.
What is happening here? Is this good?
Glad to hear it worked for you. As for ping, it is a good thing Ping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

debrad0307

Reaction score
i am going to give it a try. there is nothing to loose. i am going to do the flash method, if it does not work, how do you take it off?