Gps issue in samsung fascinate

jchavez

Reaction score
I called verizon to ask them Bour the issue im having with the gps, it find the gps signal for voice turn by turn navigation, they told me that maps feom google is not compatible with my phone for turn by turn nVigation, is that true? Or is just ignorance, I am not the only one with this problem, is there A fix to this? I dont want to wait for an update

samsungfascinate

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Occasionally I can get it to work if I disable WiFi, run the "GPS Status" application <find it in the app market>, launch GPS status then relaunch Google Maps/Navigation. It's a crap shoot but it works 25% of the time...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
From browsing around it seems like there's some sort of general GPS issue with the Fascinate. I didn't find much in the way of specifics though...

dlmvegas

Reaction score
I've tried GPS Status and it sits there for 10-15 minutes spinning around until it finally displays the coordinates. If I bring up Google Maps after running GPS Status it can take almost 20 minutes till I'm actually put in the correct area on the map. Usually the GPS and map shows me over 6 - 10 blocks off in any direction from my actual location when it starts up. Just real crap for the $199.00 I paid for this phone and the new 2 year extension of service on Verizon.

Well I've only had this about a week or so. I guess I can take it back like I did the Droid X I had gotten when that first came out. This shouldn't be releasing crap that they don't test. Are the phone manufacturer's getting like Microsoft and having the users beta test their junk for them.

Someone last night had a Droid X with 2.2 on it and their position on GPS was also off.

tonydelite

Reaction score
I've tried GPS Status and it sits there for 10-15 minutes spinning around until it finally displays the coordinates. If I bring up Google Maps after running GPS Status it can take almost 20 minutes till I'm actually put in the correct area on the map. Usually the GPS and map shows me over 6 - 10 blocks off in any direction from my actual location when it starts up. Just real crap for the $199.00 I paid for this phone and the new 2 year extension of service on Verizon.

Well I've only had this about a week or so. I guess I can take it back like I did the Droid X I had gotten when that first came out. This shouldn't be releasing crap that they don't test. Are the phone manufacturer's getting like Microsoft and having the users beta test their junk for them.

Someone last night had a Droid X with 2.2 on it and their position on GPS was also off.

It's showing you a few blocks away because it doesn't have a GPS satellite fix. When it can't get a lock on the satellites, it will show you near the closest cell tower.

You need to have a clear view of open sky to get a proper GPS lock. Unless there is just something wrong with your phone in the first place. I have heard the Samsung phones have a very hard time getting a proper lock.

dlmvegas

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tony but I don't know how much clearer I can get standing outside in a residential area. I did find a post in another forum that said turn off everything but "Standalone" (Applications> Settings > Location & Security). Don't even use Google.

Sure enough I am getting exact or really close positioning in less than 1 minute. Using GPS Status app I now get position in less than 10 seconds. Hope this helps someone else that reads this forum.

cpagelan

Reaction score
Gps

It works on some Fascinates, others it does not. Friends in Verizon advanced tech support say that not only is it a known issue, but one they can do nothing about. They literally said it's "Hit or Miss." As for 2.2, I'm being told that if they do release it, it will be end of December, followed by an OTA of 2.3 a couple of months later. Or that because 2.2 is unstable on Samsungs build of Android, more so than 2.1, that they may skip both and shoot for v3.0 in 6 months or so. Don't shoot the messenger all: It's just what my research has turned up. And while I trust my sources, I do not trust their employers. Good luck. I'm hangin' in there against my better judgement. Because of all the misdirection and deceit, my first instinct is to file a class action suit against them and start collecting signatures and phone numbers. Shouldn't take long to collect about 20,000,000 pissed off users. Love the phone. Now it just needs some supportive software...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because of all the misdirection and deceit, my first instinct is to file a class action suit
Enjoy the coupon that you'll get as compensation while the attorneys make off with the real money.

cpagelan

Reaction score
It's not about the money. It's about injuring a company that has no regard for any of us. The only way to change their behaviour is to hurt their bottom line. You cannot change their attitude. Only their direction. By threating their cash flow. Get it? If you want fast cash for excercising your rights as a consumer, you'll fail. Its frivolous to convince people to not buy these products. Damage is done there. Now we get Verizon, Google and Samsung to step up to the plate and and make work what was advertised.

Last edited: