Navigator and phone calls

pilot25

Reaction score
Is it not possible to talk and use the navigation at the same time?

I tried to today and the calls kept dropping. I turned off the navigation and didn't lose a call.

I thought the navigation was off the GPS and calls off the cell towers.

Verizon needs to fix this problem quickly.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's data... doesn't do data and voice together. CDMA just doesn't.

GPS is only your location... your phone still has to load information from Google maps for navigation.

Retribution

Reaction score
It should keep working, when you initially start the gps it loads the maps of your route in the cache, so as long as your staying on the route while talking on the phone it should continue to work, however should you deviate from the instructions the gps is feeding you it will be unable to recalculate your route til you hang up.

tu3218

Reaction score
I don't know too much about this an gps's, but why not put the maps on the phones memory like a regular gps? That would also save a lot of battery life. I don't really understand this at all.

nojoke

Reaction score
Is that the bottom line? I'm on the bluetooth receiving calls while navigating....it resumes but no directions while on the phone.

Is there an option to cache the whole route to the card?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update:

I was using Google Nav the other day... I received a phone call... you could still hear the nav directions being spoken as I was on the phone. Nav kept working...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know too much about this an gps's, but why not put the maps on the phones memory like a regular gps? That would also save a lot of battery life. I don't really understand this at all.
Nothing prevents a developer from doing so. I doubt you'll see such a solution from Google. They tend to favor the cloud approach.

There are benefits and downsides to each approach to implementing GPS nav apps.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I was driving down to a meeting yesterday and using the Google Nav to get me there. In the midst of my drive, my boyfriend called me. Upon completing the call, the Droid automatically transferred back to the Google Nav and resumed right where it picked up. Thankfully...otherwise I would've missed my meeting!

Vladimir

Reaction score
Umm so now for past 3 days ive been making phone calls and receiving while navigation is running :)

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing prevents a developer from doing so. I doubt you'll see such a solution from Google. They tend to favor the cloud approach.

There are benefits and downsides to each approach to implementing GPS nav apps.

It does store the map into memory, and will allow you to continue your navigation unless you make a detour from your route.

nojoke

Reaction score
OK for all the people that received phone calls while navigating.....were you on Bluetooth? Where did the instructions come from? The speaker or within the Bluetooth?

DroidFan

Reaction score
OK for all the people that received phone calls while navigating.....were you on Bluetooth? Where did the instructions come from? The speaker or within the Bluetooth?

My call was on bluetooth, but the GNav was coming from the phone. Once the call ended, the GNav returned to the phone even with my BT headset still active.

Vladimir

Reaction score
At some point there will be a navigation app for the droid that is fully independent from the internet use, probably Tom Tom, first then Garmin will come out with it.