Google Navigation Problems

evolution23

Reaction score
I seem to be having trouble with the Google navigation. I can't seem to get a my location correct. I've tried it in many areas and it seems to be off by a couple of blocks. Keep in mind I live in NY so there shouldn't be any signal problems. I have GPS and WIFI turned on and still can't get great signaling for the GPS. This is a problem because I can't get turn by turn directions. Any one know how I can fix this?

Silver Member
Reaction score
"my location" uses cell towers and is never accurate. GPS must be turned on for accurate directions in google maps.

however, since it would appear that you do have GPS enabled, are you sure you have a clear view of the sky? have you tried punching in your GPS coordinates online to see how off they are?

Reaction score
Follow these exact steps and I would say your problems will most likely be fixed.

Not sure if this first step is necessary, but the program is neat and will tell you where gps satellites are according to your location.

1. Download GPS Status from the market (it's free).

2. Make sure your GPS is turned on.

3. Go to a location where you don't have magnetic devices around you (such as electronics of any sort), such as outside (ideal) or room with minimal electronics nearby.

4. Hold your phone in your hand flat. Spin it around 3 times. After that, hold your phone on it's side, spin it around 3 times again. Finally, put your phone right side up (end on end) and spin it 3 more times. You can also do figure 8's, but the spins worked for me.

5. Go to Google Maps and see if your location is closer.

At first Maps was showing me about half a mile away, I did this trick and it showed the dot on my exact room in my apartment.

iPirate

Reaction score
in NYC?

Tall buildings will make getting a GPS fix difficult, FYI.

OP
E

evolution23

Reaction score
Yes this does not help. Even in Long Island Im not getting a proper signal? It used to work perfectly but now it doesn't do I have to enable something to make it work?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yes this does not help. Even in Long Island Im not getting a proper signal? It used to work perfectly but now it doesn't do I have to enable something to make it work?

Have you install other apps that also use GPS? One of those might no be playing nice.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Follow these exact steps and I would say your problems will most likely be fixed.

Not sure if this first step is necessary, but the program is neat and will tell you where gps satellites are according to your location.

1. Download GPS Status from the market (it's free).

2. Make sure your GPS is turned on.

3. Go to a location where you don't have magnetic devices around you (such as electronics of any sort), such as outside (ideal) or room with minimal electronics nearby.

4. Hold your phone in your hand flat. Spin it around 3 times. After that, hold your phone on it's side, spin it around 3 times again. Finally, put your phone right side up (end on end) and spin it 3 more times. You can also do figure 8's, but the spins worked for me.

5. Go to Google Maps and see if your location is closer.

At first Maps was showing me about half a mile away, I did this trick and it showed the dot on my exact room in my apartment.

Did you forget click your heals together 3 times and say "There is no place like home?":icon_ banana:

OP
E

evolution23

Reaction score

Have you install other apps that also use GPS? One of those might no be playing nice.

I think this is probably the problem, I found another forum that has a whole list of directions starting with uninstalling every app that uses GPS. I will try that.