Google's Project Fi is Now Available Without Invite; Offer Includes Nexus 5X for Only $200

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, I'm sneaky like that.

Connect automatically to open Wi-Fi networks - Project Fi Help

It uses a VPN but how much should we trust this? I don't connect to any open WiFi hotspots, ever. So should we just trust that Project Fi won't let us down?
I mean, I'm glad to see them doing SOMETHING to protect user data. I've used a VPN app on hotel wifi before I was in a job where I had a VPN set up through there. Never bothered to set one up through my home network, though I probably should.

I'd trust google more than I'd trust the maker of that VPN app that I know considerably less about.

Being on a capped data plan, I rely HEAVILY on my home wifi for the majority of my data usage. When away from home for extended periods of time, there are certain risks that need to be weighed and possibly taken. I suppose I could always just up my data package if/when I KNOW I'm going on a trip though. Small price to pay to not have to worry about increased usage.

I'm still very much interested in Fi. As I've said in a number of threads on the service, if I could get better than 2G in my area, I'd give it a try for sure.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
If Verizon raised my UDP rate, I would have left and tried vzw but for what I'm paying. I can't justify the $30-40 a month savings, if I don't go over data usage.

I have a VPN for my home use. I've never used it for mobile data

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
wait wait wait...So...I'm downloading a 500 MB file on my phone and walking around town. I connect to Sprint's cell network, then Tmo's, then open Wifi, then back to Sprint, then back to open Wifi.

1. Is Project Fi smart enough to keep me on the fastest network possible?
2. Does this constant switching kill the battery?
3. Wifi usage is not included in the data rate? Meaning, if I use up 400 Meg on WIFI and 100 Meg on a cell network, then I only pay for the 100 Meg I used on the cell network??

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the link for all the details: FAQ

But, just to be extra helpful here are the answer to your specific questions -

What types of Wi-Fi hotspots will Project Fi automatically connect me to?

Project Fi connects you to free, open Wi-Fi networks that do not require any action to get connected (such as, enter a password, watch an ad, or check-in). We use a network quality database to help determine which networks are high quality and reliable.

How does Project Fi help protect my data when I'm on public Wi-Fi?

When Project Fi automatically connects you to an open Wi-Fi network, we help protect your data by sending it through a secure connection, known as a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This secure connection protects your data from being looked at by other users on the open Wi-Fi network.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes it does.

Not really. One of the folks here at DF HQ uses the Nexus 6 on Project Fi and it doesn't really affect his battery life at all.

3. Wifi usage is not included in the data rate? Meaning, if I use up 400 Meg on WIFI and 100 Meg on a cell network, then I only pay for the 100 Meg I used on the cell network??
Correct on all counts. Wi-Fi data uses data from whichever Wi-Fi network you are on at the time. It doesn't use any data from your Project Fi plan. Your example is a good one.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes it does.

Not really. One of the folks here at DF HQ uses the Nexus 6 on Project Fi and it doesn't really affect his battery life at all.

Correct on all counts. Wi-Fi data uses data from whichever Wi-Fi network you are on at the time. It doesn't use any data from your Project Fi plan. Your example is a good one.

Questions 1 and 3 should be sticky'd someplace. I had no idea. Project Fi gives you virtually unlimited data as long as you are in range of a trusted wifi hotspot. Nice! :)

grrouchie

Reaction score
If I can get the 6p at a more affordable rate I might make the switch. But I can't go to a smaller phone after owning the edge+

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk