Google Expands Project Fi to Select Tablets

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
v5s2dzkd3cfycz7qvsro.jpg

Google will allow Project Fi subscribers with cellular-enabled tablets such as the Nexus 7 and iPad Air 2 on its service.

Google won't charge Project Fi subscribers fee to add tablets to their plan. All you need to do is order a data-only SIM and put it in your device. Customers continue to pay $10 per gigabyte of data used each month. As with phones on Project Fi, it will be able to connect to T-Mobile or Sprint when not near a Wi-Fi network. But unlike the phone version, the tablet won't be able to access the voice network.

The data-only SIM card for Project Fi will work on five tablets to start, the Nexus 7, Nexus 9, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 4 and Galaxy Tab S. Apple's iPads and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S are the first non-Google devices to be able to use the service, with Google previously restricting it to its Nexus phones.

Restrictions:
No tethering people!!! Tablets cannot be used as a mobile hotspot for other devices. These SIM cards are only available to Project Fi subscribers, who also subscribe to the $20-a-month voice and text service. Google is allowing customers to connect up to nine devices with a data-only SIM to a single account.

Check the link below for all approved devices and complete rules.

Source: Google

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Is it just me or is $10/GB not all that great. Unless you only use 2-3gb a month maybe...

Note 4tified
It's not. Project fi isn't for data hungry users.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Is it just me or is $10/GB not all that great. Unless you only use 2-3gb a month maybe...

Note 4tified
I was thinking the exact same thing! Kind of a rip off if you ask me, but then I burn through data like its going outta style.

S5 tap'n

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
How much data does the average person consume? I have read 2Gig but that seems a bit low to me.

Here are some numbers to think about:

Music streaming (average quality, 160Kbps): 1.2MB per minute, 72MB per hour
Music streaming/downloading (320Kbps): 2.4MB per minute, 144MB per hour
iPlayer video: 50MB to 225MB per hour
Netflix video, SD: up to 0.7GB per hour
Netflix video, HD: 1GB to 2.8GB per hour
Photo uploading: 5MB per photo
Online gaming: 5MB per hour

[sources: Spotify, BBC, Netflix, Verizon Wireless]

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I do about 2gig a day.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I use about 4G a month but must say that I use WIFI most of the time

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I average 6 to 7 a month in mobile data but I also don't use it as much as I'd like. I went to an 18 gb a month plan and also last night just signed back up for Sirius. Now I will use it as I wish and see where I end up.

Note 4tified

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It's not good for people that use plenty ...I use anywhere from 8 to 12 depending ...the reason I stopped Project FI ...

6s plus Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I use 4-5 on mobile data, but over 20 on wifi, so something like this wouldn't be that bad for me. Though, that's my phone, not my tablet. I know I'd use less on a tablet. A big chunk of my mobile data usage is streaming music in my truck, which I wouldn't be doing on the tablet. I think, if I REALLY needed data on my tablet though, I'd just turn on the hotspot on my phone, especially since my tablets are wifi only anyway.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have 10 days left in my billing cycle. I've used 4.2 gb mobile and 20.8 wifi.... I just started streaming Sirius today so I'm going to see how much that skyrockets...

Most of my wifi was youtube. 10 gb but what's scary is I don't think I've watched but an hour maybe 2 of videos. I don't recall uploading any either....

Note 4tified