Google's Nexus Player Quick Detail Summary

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-nexus-player.png

It probably shouldn't be too much of a surprise that Google announced the Nexus Player. It's their newest multimedia device designed to use the previously announced Android TV. This device is basically meant to replace the GoogleTV product, but it will supposedly do much more than that.

Along with a massive assortment of TV, video, movie, music and other multi-media options, it will also be a capable game player. It might not be able to compete with the likes of the Microsoft Xbox One and Sony PS4 in graphical horsepower, but for the causal gamer it will allow folks to play their favorite Android game on their big screen. It even has its own gaming controller and remote. Here's a quote with Google's brief description,

"Finally, we’re releasing the first device running Android TV: Nexus Player, a collaboration with Asus, is a streaming media player for movies, music and videos. It's also a first-of-its-kind Android gaming device. With Nexus Player you can play Android games on your HDTV with a gamepad, then keep playing on your phone while you're on the road. Nexus Player is Google Cast Ready so you can cast your favorite entertainment from almost any Chromebook or Android or iOS phone or tablet to your TV."

What do you guys think? Could this be the first TV product to really make it big from Google?

Here's a direct link to Googles landing page for the Nexus Player: Nexus Player Google

Source: Google Blog

Heero121

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
note 3
as always its going to boil down to price point. If they overprice it then it fill go down the path of the ill forgotten step-child known as the Nexus Q. Lets face it, media players havent really evolved within the past few years. Hopefully the gaming and google cast can separate them from the rest. Just have to keep it competitively priced.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea, I don't see anything here worth ditching my Roku's for...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The one thing it's missing that would make me consider it is an ethernet port. I prefer that on my Roku rather than connecting it to my wifi. It's MUCH faster in buffering.

swc2001

Reaction score
when they say TV.... do they mean actual TV like local channels...... FOOTBALL?
cuz that would be a selling point for me. As of now we stream only and have No cable.
So we dont have Football. If I could get football off of local channels it would be worth its weight in gold to me!!!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
when they say TV.... do they mean actual TV like local channels...... FOOTBALL?
cuz that would be a selling point for me. As of now we stream only and have No cable.
So we dont have Football. If I could get football off of local channels it would be worth its weight in gold to me!!!

There are rumors on the Internet that there is a device known as an "antenna" that will provide you with what you crave.

Jk :p

Seriously though, Aereo was taken down by "Master Media", which would have allowed you to watch broadcast channels on your phone or tablet using an app. No other company has filled the void...yet.