Google Officially Announces Android Lollipop, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nexus-Family-2014.jpg

Google just made the big announcement... Android 5.0 will be Lollipop and Google will have three new Nexus devices in the Nexus family. The first is the Nexus 6 smartphone which is made by Motorola. The second is the Nexus 9 tablet which is made by HTC, and the third is something called the Nexus Player, which is a brand new media-player/TV device.

The excitement here at HQ is palpable, and we can't wait to dive right into these products. We are going to do a separate story for each one, so stand by for those. Before that we do want to share some important details regarding release dates and carriers. The biggest surprise is that Verizon will actually be getting the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9! Here's a quote from Google's blog with those details,

"Nexus 9 and Nexus Player will be available for pre-order on October 17 and in stores starting November 3. Nexus 6 will be available for pre-order in late October and in stores in November—with options for an unlocked version though Play store, or a monthly contract or installment plan through carriers, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular and Verizon. Specific carrier rollout will be subject to certification completion and will vary. Check out google.com/nexus for more details on availability.

Android 5.0 Lollipop, which comes on Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus Player, will also be available on Nexus 5, 7, 10 and Google Play edition devices in the coming weeks."

Here's a series of links to our series of articles on each specific new Google product:

Source: Google Blog

Last edited:

GAstorino

Reaction score
Once again they limit the storage to 32 gb. What is up with these things. They want you to replace your pc but with 2 GB of solid state available they cant put at minimum 128 gb storage now in 2014. I hate that they want everything on the cloud and then when you can't get wi-fi or internet access then your business is down. With limiting memory they limit what you can buy and put on your system as well.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Definitely getting the 64 GB model

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Once again they limit the storage to 32 gb. What is up with these things. They want you to replace your pc but with 2 GB of solid state available they cant put at minimum 128 gb storage now in 2014. I hate that they want everything on the cloud and then when you can't get wi-fi or internet access then your business is down. With limiting memory they limit what you can buy and put on your system as well.

Maybe because people don't need to store 100 gigs of music on the thing. My 32 gigs on my LG G3 is plenty of space for every app I could want. My images upload to dropbox when I'm on wifi so I can clean those up periodically too. Wanting 128gb and needing 128gb are two different things. I dont' think Google or anyone else should cater to the minority who want to store everything under the sun on the device compared to the vast amount of people who stream music from whatever service they want. Also, that is undoubtedly a part of it. Google wants you to use Google Music. Why not, its a money make for them.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Might be a wee bit too big for me to consider. Even the HTC One M8 was pushing the limits of what I wanted to carry around, but I guess we shall see.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

Yeah. Normally I don't like to dictate how another person uses their device but the call for 128Gb is a bit ridiculous. If storage is that important then a 4 inch long $5 microUSB to female USB cord is available and USB sticks can be had to provide storage to your hearts content. I'd be with you regarding 16GB but 32GB-64GB can suffice easily with options to supplement if you had to. What I've found is that the USB adapter option is even better than an SD card because it can be swapped out without disabling the device.

I'm not trying to dictate how you use a device but you have to realize that people who need beyond 64GB (which they will offer) is in the extreme minority.

I too have never understood the fascination to carry 100GB of music everywhere. I'm also willing to bet that people who have that much music only listen to a tiny fraction of it throughout the course of a year. But hey, that's their choice. As far as movies go, I either use my tablet and consume via a USB dongle (extreme case) or stream via Chromecast. I never have to save anything on my phone.

Reaction score
The big question for me is whether the Verizon version will have an unlockable bootloader. If so, this news does me no good.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
100GB of music? Mine's only 20 and as you can see that takes up a bit much on a 16GB device.
MEH. Nexus. Not interested. Turbo please?

DrumsOfGrohl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone 6
Lots of new stuff! I think Lollipop (btw, not sure what I think about the name yet, but I'm sure craving some sugar now) could be a real nice improvement on Android. Plus I'm sick of saying 5.0.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
It's a smartphone FIRST....most users don't even hit or come close to the 32GB limit as it is (I'm in that group)

ffarl

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, that's some nice looking hardware for sure. I'm anxious to see it in action!