Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The fact of the matter is, with more and more devices releasing with the ability to record 4K video, 128gb storage could EASILY be filled up. Android is about having options.....the fact that the option is there for people should make everyone happy, regardless how each of us use our device.

S5 tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You guys who say we don't need 128gb of storage are forgetting how much space 4k video takes. In this case let me remind you that 1 minute of 4k video takes up 1gb of storage. Do you want to be limited to 5-10 minute videos before you have to upload? Didn't think so. So 128gb+ is valid as anything else.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
So, for every minute of 4K video you use 1GB. On my 64GB phone I usually have 47GB of uncommitted storage. I have to say that in a pinch I could grab plenty of 4K video, but If i'm going to shoot more than 10 minutes of 4K video I'm getting out my dedicated equipment. If you actively plan on shooting more than 10 minutes of 4K video and you're planning on doing so with your phone, you're just using the wrong tool for the job.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The fact of the matter is, with more and more devices releasing with the ability to record 4K video, 128gb storage could EASILY be filled up. Android is about having options.....the fact that the option is there for people should make everyone happy, regardless how each of us use our device.

S5 tap'n

Not to mention that apps are getting larger and larger in order to take full advantage of higher resolution screens and more powerful processors.

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
It's a smartphone FIRST....most users don't even hit or come close to the 32GB limit as it is (I'm in that group)

Same, I don't use that much of my storage space. But if I had the capacity, I totally would find a use for it. Storing a dozen HD movies on it for long trips away from home and the like would be a good use for it. And it'd be nice to not have to plug your phone into your computer every other time to put 1 or 2 movies on it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I still think Google missed the mark on releasing only a 6" screen model, that is huge and probably a dealbreaker for many. I am shocked that Verizon is getting it though, let's see how badly they screw up the Nexus experience this time.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
So, for every minute of 4K video you use 1GB. On my 64GB phone I usually have 47GB of uncommitted storage. I have to say that in a pinch I could grab plenty of 4K video, but If i'm going to shoot more than 10 minutes of 4K video I'm getting out my dedicated equipment. If you actively plan on shooting more than 10 minutes of 4K video and you're planning on doing so with your phone, you're just using the wrong tool for the job.
Key word was planning. Most people aren't going to set out with the mission in mind of recording an hour of 4K video on their phones but I've taken a couple trips recently to Niagara Falls, Chincoteague Island and the Wildwood shoreline in New Jersey and in each trip I racked up more than an hour of combined video along with many dozens of pics. With 4K video and 21MP images that would break the bank very quickly on a 32gb device. I will however definitely be getting a USB OTG MicroSD card reader and bring along some extra cards once I have the Turbo.

Yes, I could elect to use a lower resolution in both video and images but that defeats the purpose of a higher resolution sensor. If I'm going to shoot the shots and they could be during a once in a lifetime vacation, I'm going to want to shoot at the highest resolution I can so as to not miss anything.

Last edited:

Lucie Kruger

Reaction score
The latest release of android lollipop includes many new features. These features inlcues the improved responsiveness and performance of the application, 64 bit devices supoort, stylish keyboard accessory support , effective internet connectivity and enhanced audio, video and camera capabllity.

squeak

Reaction score
Why is a guy getting flamed for wanting 128GB of storage? Some folks watch movies on their phones, right now most HD movies are in 1080p, but with 4k TV's becoming much more common and a phone that sports a better than 1080 screen it's reasonable to think that even compressed video files will grow significantly in size over the next few years. Why is anyone opposed to the option (meaning that it's not required that you buy it, it's just available for those who do want to buy it) of more storage. I fall into the category of people who don't use tons of phone storage, but I am all for having more options to choose from.

swc2001

Reaction score
About stinking time!!!
I wonder why they shyed away from lollipop in the begining and called it "L"
they so weird!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys who say we don't need 128gb of storage are forgetting how much space 4k video takes. In this case let me remind you that 1 minute of 4k video takes up 1gb of storage. Do you want to be limited to 5-10 minute videos before you have to upload? Didn't think so. So 128gb+ is valid as anything else.

Two words: USB OTG

Or is that six words?

Anyway, I have a 128G stick plugged into my Moto X for movie watchin' when I'm commutin'. On board storage is not a necessity for us rooters and unlockers.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
That's just so damn unwieldy to have that thing sticking off the side or bottom of your phone...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Two words: USB OTG

Or is that six words?

Anyway, I have a 128G stick plugged into my Moto X for movie watchin' when I'm commutin'. On board storage is not a necessity for us rooters and unlockers.

That's just so damn unwieldy to have that thing sticking off the side or bottom of your phone...

Agree on both counts but I would simply move off the OTG device what I want onto the phone and unplug.