Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
eN4heWM.jpg

Right now, you can grab a Nexus Player from Amazon for just $69.99. Not a bad price at all right?

• Powered by Android TV
  • Your favorite apps, like Netflix and Hulu Plus, HBO Go, Sling TV and much more!
  • Quickly find movies, TV shows and more with voice search
  • Immersive Android games on your HDTV
  • Google Cast Ready: cast from your mobile device or laptop

So what are you waiting for? Head on over to Amazon and grab one!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With Google Cast my Nexus Player retired my Chromecast. I just like the UI of the Nexus Player more and if you have (young) kids the added option for games is a plus. Hopefully either Google or Nvidia can gain the rights to EA and bring some serious gaming such as Madden, NCAA,etc.

Patiently waiting....

RyanPm40

Reaction score
So is this just basically a more robust Chromecast like how Amazon Fire TV is essentially just a more powerful Amazon Stick? I guess I don't really see the point of shelling out an extra 35 bucks for a remote haha

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So is this just basically a more robust Chromecast like how Amazon Fire TV is essentially just a more powerful Amazon Stick? I guess I don't really see the point of shelling out an extra 35 bucks for a remote haha

Except you can also play content (ie SlingTV) which is not available on Chromecast or HBO Go (through Google Cast) which is available via Chromecast but is (or was) not available for Nexus Player.

Not saying it is a "run out and buy" but if someone is feeling like $69 is a good price then definitely check it out or wait a little longer for the price to drop more.

blacksoxing

Reaction score
Except you can also play content (ie SlingTV) which is not available on Chromecast or HBO Go (through Google Cast) which is available via Chromecast but is (or was) not available for Nexus Player.

Not saying it is a "run out and buy" but if someone is feeling like $69 is a good price then definitely check it out or wait a little longer for the price to drop more.

Ya know....I was trying to think about why I would need this...and I can't.

Bedroom TV has a Roku 3, and the bigger TV has a desktop. The Roku hits all of the spots that this seemingly hits....and worse, it doesn't seem as if Plex runs 1080p smoothly on these:

Shortcoming of Plex for Nexus Player - Page 5 - Google TV Amazon Fire TV - Plex Forums

You're right...$70 does seem too much

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
How would I use this to push about 2.5TB of movies and music from a USB Hard drive. Currently I have a media PC set up, just a basic Dell with HDMI and optical audio out, that drives my home theater.

If I wanted to just use this little box, how can I access my content?

rj160202

Reaction score
I got the nexus player as a try-and-see. I have chromecast and can say there's not enough incentive to choose this over a chromecast (nexus was returned). The couple games I do have are not compatible with the nexus player. the UI is smooth and obviously an improvement over chromecast, but that's about it. Not worth an additional 35 bones, in my opinion at least.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How would I use this to push about 2.5TB of movies and music from a USB Hard drive. Currently I have a media PC set up, just a basic Dell with HDMI and optical audio out, that drives my home theater.

It's a nexus device, so plug in a hub and you can access the info via es file manager. I have KB with a trackpad as well as a hub attached to mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
with that said I still prefer my roku 3 because of the ability to plug in an ethernet cord.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That feature is native to M. The developer preview has it