Google's Nexus Player Now Available in Retail: Best Buy, Newegg & Amazon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus-player-with-remote.jpg

Google's Nexus Player is their first retail Android TV device. Up until now, it was only available on the Google Play Store. That has changed as of this weekend. The Nexus Player had its retail debut this weekend, and you can now grab one at several different outlets, including Best Buy, Amazon & Newegg.

The device is only $99.99 for those interested in doing some Android gaming, browsing and TV watching on the device. Here are a few links to get you started with your favorite retailer (although it appears that Best Buy may be "in store pickup" only) for now):
Sound off and let us know if/when you get one of these and let us know what you think of it!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Hmm, might pick one up.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Would have definitely bought one a year so when we got our Roku. The Chromecast works well enough but you need a device to use it. My kids are able to use the Roku easily instead of needing a phone or tablet to use the chromecast. I would rather have this but I'm not gonna replace my Roku which is a great device.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I have two Chromecasts and two Amazon Fire TVs, I think this would just be a waste.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I picked one up yesterday. Rooted and running Kodi. Currently awaiting my new otg cable. The one I currently have is a 90 degree which works for the phone but not for the nexus player.

By the way if you plan on rooting and really taking advantage get an otg cable.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have two Chromecasts and two Amazon Fire TVs, I think this would just be a waste.

If you have a chromecast then you are good to go. I have a chromecast and a roku 3. The nexus player is more like something for tinkers in my opinion. Out of the box it is inferior to the chromecast, in fact the chromcast does a better job with playing youtube. Where the nexus player is a buy is if you are use to the nexus eco system where you root and go find some tweaks that pushes the device. Even still in all it is a waste of money if you already have a chromecast and a fire tv stick. Really was a waste of money for me but I like tinkering and I feel like there is some potential. Here are 2 vids that helped me. One of them is informative you just have to get over the length.

^ the video above is what led me to give it a try.

EDIT:

In my tweaking I downloaded another version on youtube. Just uninstalled it and using the stock one and things are working better.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I picked one up yesterday. Rooted and running Kodi. Currently awaiting my new otg cable. The one I currently have is a 90 degree which works for the phone but not for the nexus player.

By the way if you plan on rooting and really taking advantage get an otg cable.

I rooted and put Kodi on both of my Fire TVs as well. Runs amazing on the FT, as I am sure it does on the Nexus Player. I picked up one of the Fire TV Sticks, but it was a little under powered for me, gave it to my mom and she loves it.

If I ever lose one of these Fire TVs to failure, I might the Nexus Player.

Edit: Also the Fire TV USB has full keyboard and mouse support right out of the box unrooted, so that was a nice bonus. No OTG needed.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
One place the Nexus Player works better for me than the Fire TV's did was voice search. Not just the normal voice search, but asking it things like "what is the weather like". The Fire TV will offer you movies while the Nexus Player will answer your question.

Tapped from a Nexus

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
One place the Nexus Player works better for me than the Fire TV's did was voice search. Not just the normal voice search, but asking it things like "what is the weather like". The Fire TV will offer you movies while the Nexus Player will answer your question.

Tapped from a Nexus

That is a good point, though I am not sure I need another device in my house responding to Ok Google commands. I say it and my phone, tablet, watch, and my wife's phone light up. :p

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not even sure that deal I picked up on the Chromecast with Google Play credit was worth the purchase at this point and I have 2 Logitech Revu boxes gathering dust in my house anyway, so I won't be picking one of these up, but I enjoy seeing other people's experiences with the device.

Given that I can stream Netflix and Amazon Instant on the xbox one and use my voice to control live tv playback, I didn't really need another option, but I figure the Chromecast will have its usefulness when we have videos/pictures to share with friends and family and don't want to crowd around a tiny phone or a small laptop thought, so I don't regret that purchase as much as I think I'd regret a $100 purchase that does about the same thing.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I had the Revue also until I upgraded the televisions in my house. I like not having to have another piece of hardware to do what all of these sticks/set top boxes do.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had the Revue also until I upgraded the televisions in my house. I like not having to have another piece of hardware to do what all of these sticks/set top boxes do.
I thought long and hard about a Smart TV, but I paid less for my 60" regular TV than I could've gotten a 55" smart one at the time and then bought the Revue on ebay or amazon and still paid slightly less.

If it wasn't for the weird stutter/lag that it created even when just watching tv if it hadn't been restarted for a while, I might've actually continued to use one of them after I moved, but then I got the xbox one and it gave me everything I used the Revue for, plus console gaming and voice control.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have a Chromecast and Roku 3. I have 2 Matchsticks that I bought during their funding offering. They should arrive next month.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
@Jeffrey would you say that the Roku 3 is the best streaming device out right now?