Google’s Hugo Barra is Leaving Google to Work at Xiaomi

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hugo-Barra-debuts-next-nexus7-2013.jpg

According to a new report from AllThingsD, there is a new shakeup in leadership at Google. Supposedly, Hugo Barra, the vice president of product management for Android, will be leaving Google to go work for Xiaomi, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer. He will be taking a position as Xiaomi's Vice President of Xiaomi Global, and will be responsible for Xiaomi’s international business development and Android strategic partnerships.

In a Google+ post, Hugo Barra shared the following related to his departure,

“After nearly 5½ years at Google and almost 3 years as a member of the Android team — the most amazing group of people I’ve ever worked with in my life — I have decided to start a new career chapter. In a few weeks, I’ll be joining the Xiaomi team in China to help them expand their incredible product portfolio and business globally — as Vice President, Xiaomi Global. I’m really looking forward to this new challenge, and am particularly excited about the opportunity to continue to help drive the Android ecosystem.”

Google's head of Android, Sundar Pichai said, “We wish Hugo Barra the best. We’ll miss him at Google and we’re excited that he is staying within the Android ecosystem.”

It's a rather quick and surprising move to see happen within the leadership at Google, but that doesn't mean we should read anything more into it. Sometimes people just change jobs. Of course, we will keep an eye out for any signs there was more going on which might have caused this.

We will share a salacious detail which came along with this report. Supposedly, Hugo Barra had a romantic relationship with an unnamed female Googler, that ended not too long ago. Additionally, this same Googler is now supposedly involved with Google Co-Founder, Sergei Brin, who recently divorced his wife. According to the report, this romantic entanglement was not related to his departure and Hugo Barra had already decided to leave the company before he even became aware the Googler was involved with Sergei Brin.

Of course, this triangle may not have been the direct cause of this situation, but it does make you wonder if the original break-up with the unnamed Googler was partially to blame. This could be a prime example of why you should almost never get romantically involved with someone at your work place.

Care to speculate on what is really going on?

Source: AllThingsD

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I think Hugo quit on Sergei because he stole his woman:

Hugo: I heard you were messing with GiGi. Is this true?
Sergei: *sigh* Look Hugo...
Hugo: IS IT TRUE!?
Sergei: Hugo listen...
HUGO: ANSWER ME!!
Sergei: Yes it's true, but listen...
Hugo: No you listen!! I quit!!
Sergei: What? You can't just quit
Hugo: Oh yes I can! Xiaomi made me a a very generous offer last year and I declined because I believed in you and I believed in this company. Their last words were "the offer will never expire. If you ever change your mind the VP position is yours."
Sergei: You're being unreasonable here Hugo. Don't quit over..
Hugo: I'm done!! Expect something on Google+ !!

Hugo storms out of the office

Sergei: Ok but just be nice about it. Say nice things about us or I'll leak some things I know about you from GiGi

Hugo storms back in

Hugo: What things?!!!
Sergei: Huh?
Hugo: I said what things!!!
Sergei: Don't know what you're talking about. Please leave and remember to say nice things on Google+.... just sayin

Hugo storms out of the office

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL! what a vivid imagination you have "ck"! You've been watching too many soap operas. :D

jspradling7

Reaction score
lol... smart move Hugo. Let Sergey deal with Ann, Susan, and the Bimbo. ;)

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
On another note, this is surely not good for Google and Android. Goggleoids are dropping like flies in Googleland.