Google Faked Us Out; Android 4.4 Will Not Be Key Lime Pie but 'KitKat' Instead

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-44-kitkat.png

It looks like Google was pulling some "sleight of hand" on us. Not only is the next iteration of Android not going to be Android 5.0, it also won't be called Key Lime Pie! According to Sundar Pichai himself, the next version of Android will actually be Android 4.4 and will be called "KitKat" instead of Key Lime Pie. This report may have you scratching your head because the Android team themselves have been referring to the next Android as Key Lime Pie for quite some time.

Apparently, after reflecting on this, the folks at Google believe that not enough people know what a "Key Lime Pie" tastes like. They decided that a KitKat, which is a bit more universally sold around the world, would be a better dessert to choose for the next Android codename. John Lagerling, the director of Android partnerships said, "very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie." He added that the company "decided to reach out to the Nestle folks." An agreement was reached allowing Google's Andy the Android to use the KitKat name although it's "not a money-changing-hands kind of deal."

Android-KitKat.jpg

Above we have a couple of pics showing the new chocolatey version of Android. This is a shocking yet intriguing "plot twist" for the next iteration of Android. Of course, most of us don't really care what they call it as long as they get it out fast and it does some really cool stuff! Still, if this had been on April 1st, we might have thought it was a joke. Speaking of jokes, I wonder if this was the real reason that Hugo Barra is leaving Google...

Share what you think of the "new" Android.

Thanks for the tip, Tears_for_Fears!

Update: We also found a hilarious spoof video that the folks at KitKat did for this. You can find it posted in the thread after the break!

Source: Google's Android & Google+ - Sundar Pichai

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Kit Kat>Key Lime pie :p

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Nestle must LOVE this.

In the tech world beginning today until the replacement OS is released, every time an Android device is mentioned they get mentioned too.

Advertising GENIUS.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I love KitKats. A good move IMO.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;OKOrkLxOBoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKOrkLxOBoY&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Here's that KitKat comedy video for the new Android change.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nestle must LOVE this.

In the tech world beginning today until the replacement OS is released, every time an Android device is mentioned they get mentioned too.

Advertising GENIUS.

I like how they said "no money changed hands", yeah ok so the biggest ad company all of a suddenly went from common deserts like cupcake, jellybeans, and rumored key lime pie, because "people do not know what key lime pie tastes like" oh ok I guess I believe that... forget he fact that now nestle candy will now be mentioned probably a billion times. I guess google did that because "more people know what a kit kat tastes like" . I wonder how many desert companies are lining up to "allow" google to use one of their foods to name their o.s.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Who cares what the name is, I'm looking for a refresh of the Android operating system and we keep getting .X "updates". The bad taste in my mouth isn't coming from the pie...revolution is the taste I'm after.

"Android 5.0, coming spring of 2017! Maybe..."

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
So, does this mean that users will be subjected to a 10 second KitKat commercial as the startup animation?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Who cares what the name is, I'm looking for a refresh of the Android operating system and we keep getting .X "updates". The bad taste in my mouth isn't coming from the pie...revolution is the taste I'm after.

"Android 5.0, coming spring of 2017! Maybe..."
EVOlution will bring about a revolution which in turn will bring the resolution

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
EVOlution will bring about a revolution which in turn will bring the resolution

I understand the cycle, but why the minor increments now when they've finally started to win over the world? Major updates shouldn't just been seen as evolutionary, it should be seen as a defense mechanism against the competition. Keep it new, keep it fresh. If they're not going about bringing major change, then someone else will no matter how dominant their market-share (e.g. Android VS iOS)

If I were Apple or anyone else, right now I'd be smelling opportunity to gain a great foothold. We've been on 4.0+ since October 2011.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I seriously had to look at the calendar to make sure that it wasn't April 1 and this wasn't an April Fool's Day joke. :question:

Hopefully, when you boot up the phone, it won't make that KitKat snap sound.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google just want us to give them a break.
booing-gif.gif

Boo.gif