Google Will Allow You To Stream Apps Without Downloading Them

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Google has started testing streaming apps! This allows you to use an app without ever actually downloading the app. The app is streamed through Google search. If your search turns up an app in the results there will be an option to stream the app. This cloud based technology will allow you to experience the app as if it were fully installed on your device.

This could be huge for anyone who owns a phone with little to no memory. This could also mean that phones of the future may ship with even less memory built in. Could you imagine a future where google charges you for a box where you house your streaming apps? Hopefully this is not anything Google is considering. It seems to be a pretty awesome feature.It will work as long as you are on wifi. Head to Google and check it out!

via Insidesearch

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, make my phone even more useless without an internet connection!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah, make my phone even more useless without an internet connection!
Um...It's a network connected device. That's kind of the whole point of a smartphone...

But I get what you're saying to a degree. I'm wondering how streaming apps will effect data usage. I would hope that it would load up basically like a webpage, since you're not actually downloading the app.

However, if you don't have an internet connection, what exactly are you using Google search for, other than to search your phone locally? :p

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
However, if you don't have an internet connection, what exactly are you using Google search for, other than to search your phone locally? :p

The best productivity and news/message apps have offline capabilities, but that doesn't do you any good if you need to be online to access the app.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
For those of us on limited data this may force some of us onto more expensive plans. It wouldn't surprise me to find out down the line the eliminating or lowering of the on board storage, pushing cloud storage and now streaming apps from the cloud is nothing more than a money grab by the carriers in partnership with phone manufacturers for a kick back from all the money they make with larger data plans. It doesn't have to include all the carriers or phone manufacturers, just the main ones. I know I sound like a conspiracy nut but it's possible.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
For those of us on limited data this may force some of us onto more expensive plans. It wouldn't surprise me to find out down the line the eliminating or lowering of the on board storage, pushing cloud storage and now streaming apps from the cloud is nothing more than a money grab by the carriers in partnership with phone manufacturers for a kick back from all the money they make with larger data plans. It doesn't have to include all the carriers or phone manufacturers, just the main ones. I know I sound like a conspiracy nut but it's possible.
It's possible, but I don't see it the same way. I see this being mostly for apps that you almost never use. Personally, I don't use OpenTable or Yelp, but I could see Google offering up one of those when I'm somewhere visiting and looking for a place to eat. It's not worth it to me to download the app for this once in a blue moon scenario, but it might be beneficial to "stream" the app to get the best experience.

Obviously, if you find yourself using a lot of data streaming the same app over and over, you can download the app and potentially save on data. I don't see how streaming an app is going to use much, if any more data than a webpage though. The way I understand it, you're seeing the app, but it's not downloading the entire app to your phone, just like a working shapshot of the app, so I don't see how this is going to SERIOUSLY impact data usage.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
It's possible, but I don't see it the same way. I see this being mostly for apps that you almost never use. Personally, I don't use OpenTable or Yelp, but I could see Google offering up one of those when I'm somewhere visiting and looking for a place to eat. It's not worth it to me to download the app for this once in a blue moon scenario, but it might be beneficial to "stream" the app to get the best experience.

Obviously, if you find yourself using a lot of data streaming the same app over and over, you can download the app and potentially save on data. I don't see how streaming an app is going to use much, if any more data than a webpage though. The way I understand it, you're seeing the app, but it's not downloading the entire app to your phone, just like a working shapshot of the app, so I don't see how this is going to SERIOUSLY impact data usage.
You have a good point to. Apps you only use once in a blue moon.