Google voice warning!

thistle

Reaction score
Remember - in order to have truly incoming AND outgoing free calls you must enter TWO numbers in "friends and family" if you are using the GV application. You must enter your GV number for incoming and the number your GV application dials for outgoing. Once in a while GV will change this outgoing number so you have to pay attention and update your "friends and family" from time to time.
This is only one way to do it. It's really far easier to install GV by Evan Charlton, rather than use the official Google Voice app. Then you never have to worry about the outgoing number changing (and it will and a lot of people get burned forgetting to check over time.)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I use Google Voice for VM only....

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
They really need to warn people that this happens if they are setting up phones with google accounts (and google voice) for the customers.
No, they don't. Relying on the store reps is only useful if you are intending to set yourself up for fail. I'm not saying that's the way it should be. I'm just saying that's the way it is and you need to work around it.

Android users need to take responsibility and perform their due diligence. Andoid's like any other operating system. Do you really think it needs warnings for every potential negative outcome? Did you get something like that for your PC?

I know it's not "intuitive" but with some research, patience, basic reasoning, and careful forethought you can avoid these pitfalls which have been outlined in the many, many other GV threads that already exist. I'd recommend that anyone considering or using GV read through them even if you think you know everything.

Last edited:

evil_O

Reaction score
Remember - in order to have truly incoming AND outgoing free calls you must enter TWO numbers in "friends and family" if you are using the GV application. You must enter your GV number for incoming and the number your GV application dials for outgoing. Once in a while GV will change this outgoing number so you have to pay attention and update your "friends and family" from time to time.
This is only one way to do it. It's really far easier to install GV by Evan Charlton, rather than use the official Google Voice app. Then you never have to worry about the outgoing number changing (and it will and a lot of people get burned forgetting to check over time.)

Looks like GV is no longer supported.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How is the Google Voice VM different from the Visual Voice Mail from VZW? I still need me a Google Voice invite anyway... so I'm just asking.

HeroNova

Reaction score
How is the Google Voice VM different from the Visual Voice Mail from VZW? I still need me a Google Voice invite anyway... so I'm just asking.

VZW visual voicemail is an extra few bucks a month added to your plan. GV is not pay-per-month but it counts against your minutes when you use the number.

B

budmonster

I just want to use Google Voice to send me my voicemail messages to me as text or to my email account. Isn't that part free? Im confused on the who google voice thing. I dont want to use it as a new number all i want is to use the feature where it turns your voicemail into texts or whatever and send thems to you so dont have to call your voicemail.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you add your Google Number to your F&F, and dial your GV number first, and select option 2, you will have unlimited outbound without having to add your other number to F&F as well. The only drawback to this is you can't just scroll to contacts and hit someone to call. Of course you can edit each contact with pauses etc, but I'm fine with just manually dialing out to get my free minutes. Most of my friends and family are Verizon anyway, so it's not like I have to do this everytime I dial...