Google voice warning!

B

budmonster

I just want to use Google Voice to send me my voicemail messages to me as text or to my email account. Isn't that part free? Im confused on the who google voice thing. I dont want to use it as a new number all i want is to use the feature where it turns your voicemail into texts or whatever and send thems to you so dont have to call your voicemail.

Can someone help me out my question please. I'm waiting on some help before I sign up.

GotnFX

Reaction score
I just want to use Google Voice to send me my voicemail messages to me as text or to my email account. Isn't that part free? Im confused on the who google voice thing. I dont want to use it as a new number all i want is to use the feature where it turns your voicemail into texts or whatever and send thems to you so dont have to call your voicemail.

Can someone help me out my question please. I'm waiting on some help before I sign up.

Yes it is free..however I cut the voicemail to text part off cuz half the time it would only send part of the message in email/SMS. It has been about 2 months and so I am not sure if it is better now.

andysousa

Reaction score

I did this with my iphone, here is the info on just using your google voice for VM only

Google Voice Blog: Google Voice with your existing number

ruinah

Reaction score
I have a similar question to this thread for Google Voice. Essentially I don't have a texting plan and like the idea of having one number for a lot of things. I already replaced my voicemail to it forwards to GV so I get the emails with the text in them. That is a really nice feature.

My question is with SMS. I was under the impression that sending text messages using GV from the Droid to anyone would NOT count against the Verizon text plan. I sent a few today and then did a #DATA and it appears that I will be charged for those SMS's. I don't know if it's a configuration issue or if I think GV does something it doesn't do but I'm wondering what you all think. I want to use my phone to send free texts using my GV number. Is that possible?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but if I only use gv for voicemail, I put my gv number in f&f, right? Then, if I give my gv number to people that are in my f&f, those calls are free whether I put my gv number to show on caller id or allow it to show the caller's number?

That's the gist I'm getting...

CKyle22

Reaction score
Yes, but you must set your GV settings to display the GV number when someone calls it. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, but you must set your GV settings to display the GV number when someone calls it. :)

Even if the person calling is on my f&f? I setup a number so my family back home could call from their landlines if they needed, and those landlines are on my f&f. Just tying to decide if I should change my settings...

CKyle22

Reaction score

Even if the person calling is on my f&f? I setup a number so my family back home could call from their landlines if they needed, and those landlines are on my f&f. Just tying to decide if I should change my settings...
No I'm saying this:

Add your GV number to fnf.
Set you're GV settings so that when someone calls it, your phone shows you the GV number instead of the number that is calling.

That's all.

ininfinitum

Reaction score
verizon store this weekend to try to get it sorted out and the bill waived....

They really need to warn people that this happens if they are setting up phones with google accounts (and google voice) for the customers.

And that's exactly the attitude that has made the major carriers decide that they need to lock down phones. They've finally given us an open platform to work with, and if everyone takes an attitude like that - we're going to lose it. Major carriers lock down phones so that there are no variables and questions. Installing something like Google Voice adds a layer of customization to your phone that just a few months ago, Verizon would never have allowed.

It's your responsibility to do your homework. The Google app clearly shows that it's dialing a different number than the one you are calling, and while I don't know exactly where, I'm sure it's in the Google Voice Documentation somewhere.

I'm not trying to beat on you, just making a point about this. If we want open phones that we can install and do whatever we want, we can't expect Verizon to pick up the tab when we don't RTFM.

It's the type of attitude that is prominent in sue-happy America, and it botherds me to no end. Gone are the days where people take responsibility for their own actions rather than placing the blame on others. Since when is ignorance an acceptable excuse?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but if I only use gv for voicemail, I put my gv number in f&f, right? Then, if I give my gv number to people that are in my f&f, those calls are free whether I put my gv number to show on caller id or allow it to show the caller's number?
Clarify what you mean by "only use it for voicemail". Are people calling your GV number or your VZ number? Are you making out bound calls with GV?

Let me see if I can summarize (hopefully someone can check and verify my work):

- Inbound calls to your GV number with caller ID showing your GV number for all calls and your GV number in F&F means all inbound calls are free.
- Inbound calls to your GV number with caller ID showing the actual caller are free only if the caller is on your F&F list.
- Inbound calls to your VZ number are free if the numbers are in your F&F list.
- Outbound calls via your VZ number are free to those on your F&F list.
- Outbound calls via GV are free only if the access number (which can change over time) is on your F&F list. Or if you place all calls by dialing your GV number and your GV number is on your F&F list.

I know it seems complicated but it's very logical if you think it through. If in doubt set it up, test it and check your usage to confirm.

I think the short answer to your second question is yes.

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ok...To try and clarify...

I setup GV originally JUST for voicemail.

I make NO calls from my cell phone using GV. Everyone calls my cell number, except my mom's house phone. They're 1,000 miles away, and when I setup GV, I figured I'd use a number that would be local for them. However, her house phone is on my Friends and Family, so my basic question is, can I set it up for my caller id to show her number instead of my GV number and still have the call be free since they're BOTH on my F&F?

The reason I ask is that I have the same situation with other members of the family too. Just using mom as an example, but they're all on my F&F...

I realize I can just set my GV number to show and turn on call presentation so I know who's calling when I pick up, but I'd rather have their individual numbers show up if it still counts as F&F minutes because I'm kinda anal like that.

So, to further clarify, I was kinda asking two separate questions. The second one is what's listed above, and the first was the one I thought I already had a grasp on...If I use GV for voicemail, and want calls to my inbox to be free, I should put my GV number in F&F and call that number to check vm, right?

Thanks! I realize that this isn't very complicated, I'm just seeing all the other people getting confused and second-guessing myself...

snowman

Reaction score
When I read up on the application yes it said you would be using regular minutes for verizon to verizon

daftlush

Reaction score
Only incoming calls are free if you add your Google number to your F&F/circle. For outgoing calls, the Gvoice app dials from a differant number every time. Think about it, Big Red's not that dumb.

However, there is an app that automatically calls your Google number and uses that call to forward you to whatever number you'd like to call. It's called "GV Dialer." It has a toggle option so you can turn it on and off. I usually use it to make customer service calls. Also, there is another app that kinda does the same thing but its developer has given up on it, so it kinda sucks. GV Dialer is the way to go.

Next time, do your research buddy.

Reaction score
Okay guys, I got burned on the voicemail thing so let me clarify something for those that are using it "just for voicemail".

Google Voice Voicemail charges you minutes EVERY TIME someone leaves you a message because what you are doing when you "set GV as your default voice mail" is forwarding every call that goes to voicemail to your Google Voice number. By forwarding it, in reality YOUR PHONE is making a call to your GOOGLE VOICE number.

What does this mean? Well, if you DON'T have a plan that includes "friends and family" then you are charged your regular minutes for every voicemail you receive. You are not charged to retrieve that if you check it using the GV app because that retrieves it through data, not minutes.

If you DO have a plan with "F&F" then if you put YOUR GV number in as one of those, you aren't charged anything.

Also, to answer some questions on the TEXTING. IF YOU TEXT WITH THE GV APP, it is free. Not charged against your sms total or against your bill UNLESS you set the setting of "Send a text (SMS) message to:" and check the "Mobile" box. If you do this, you are then forwarding all texts coming into GV to your VZ account and it's treated as any other SMS. If you want to use GV Texting, use it ONLY through the GV app. If you want faster response then every 5 mins, the forward the SMS to your email and it will push through gmail and be free too because that's through the unlimited data.

GV is a great BETA program. It is still very much a work in progress though. What it is NOT is a Voice over IP program.

- It IS NOT a skype (yet).

- Calls you make USING it go against your minutes.

- Calls you receive FROM it go against your minutes.

- Voicemails you send to it from your phone cost you minutes but retrieving them through the GV app do not.

- SMS sent THROUGH the GV app are free.

- SMS received IN the GV APP are free. Setting the GV app to forward SMS to your VZ number WILL COST YOU against a texting plan or your LACK of one.

- Setting SMS to forward to your gmail WILL NOT cost you against your SMS. This is the best "quick response" option for GV. Responding to emails in it will act just like texting. At the very least it will let you know when to open the GV and refresh it to get and respond to texts in it.

- Calls made TO YOUR GV number from other VZ numbers ARE NOT "Mobile 2 Mobile" because the number that is actually calling you IS YOUR GV NUMBER, NOT their VZ number. It bills your number as a regular call AND their number. The only way to avoid this on YOUR end is to set the incoming GV number as a "Friend and Family" number but THEY will still be charged unless they do the same.

I don't know how to make it any clearer than this. Hopefully this will help some people incur a lot of charges. I found out that all the voicemail were costing when I got my first bill after adding GV. I had $72 worth of forwarded calls that were calls I'd sent straight to voicemail while at work. 7 or 8 a day added up in a hurry. It added up to over 250 minutes charged to my bill that shouldn't have been. Thankfully, since I found it after the first bill, and called Verizon and told them what happened and that I'd disabled the service, they wiped all the minutes to my GV number. They saw that my trend of minutes used was usually WAY under and that spike was odd. They wiped all thos call UP TO the date I called them but any after that, I'm responsible for. I only have the 450 min plan so I don't have F2F so I disabled the voicemail, even though I really liked it. I just couldn't validate it right now.

Keep your eyes open and check your bill frequently online to make sure you are using it the way you expect it. If you see charged minutes building, check your settings.

jbuchers

Reaction score
more voice dialer questions

Is there another voice dialer that we can use instead of google voice? The rep at the verizon store showed me a way to voice dial using one of the "soft" keys; the magnifying glass. Is there a charge for using that one, too? I don't have cell service here where I live, so I can't play with this stuff until I leave the propery..I'm a bit slow on these things. I saw a voice dialer app offered in the marketplace for $4.99 but I didn't know if that was the google dialer everyone is talking about..
Thanks