Google voice warning!

ahwang

Reaction score
I wonder if this happened to anyone else:

I set my google voice to make my outgoing calls as I'm sure many of you have done as well...

This month I went over my allowed minutes by over $80! When you use your google number to call other people on verizon, you are NOT using free mobile-to-mobile minutes. You are USING your actual plan minutes!

Just thought I'd warn people...

I am going to pop by a verizon store this weekend to try to get it sorted out and the bill waived. They really need to warn people that this happens if they are setting up phones with google accounts (and google voice) for the customers.

bamfsig45

Reaction score
I think if you add your google voice number to your "Friends Circle" or whatever you can avoid this problem.

heem

Reaction score
verizon store this weekend to try to get it sorted out and the bill waived....

They really need to warn people that this happens if they are setting up phones with google accounts (and google voice) for the customers.

And that's exactly the attitude that has made the major carriers decide that they need to lock down phones. They've finally given us an open platform to work with, and if everyone takes an attitude like that - we're going to lose it. Major carriers lock down phones so that there are no variables and questions. Installing something like Google Voice adds a layer of customization to your phone that just a few months ago, Verizon would never have allowed.

It's your responsibility to do your homework. The Google app clearly shows that it's dialing a different number than the one you are calling, and while I don't know exactly where, I'm sure it's in the Google Voice Documentation somewhere.

I'm not trying to beat on you, just making a point about this. If we want open phones that we can install and do whatever we want, we can't expect Verizon to pick up the tab when we don't RTFM.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
verizon store this weekend to try to get it sorted out and the bill waived....

They really need to warn people that this happens if they are setting up phones with google accounts (and google voice) for the customers.

And that's exactly the attitude that has made the major carriers decide that they need to lock down phones. They've finally given us an open platform to work with, and if everyone takes an attitude like that - we're going to lose it. Major carriers lock down phones so that there are no variables and questions. Installing something like Google Voice adds a layer of customization to your phone that just a few months ago, Verizon would never have allowed.

It's your responsibility to do your homework. The Google app clearly shows that it's dialing a different number than the one you are calling, and while I don't know exactly where, I'm sure it's in the Google Voice Documentation somewhere.

I'm not trying to beat on you, just making a point about this. If we want open phones that we can install and do whatever we want, we can't expect Verizon to pick up the tab when we don't RTFM.

Until Verizon says it's not allowed, I'm going to keep doing it. Why wouldn't I? If Verizon catches on, it is much more likely that they will not allow you to add the number to your friends and family list than to ban the Google Voice app on a Moto/Verizon/ Google phone.

heem

Reaction score
Until Verizon says it's not allowed, I'm going to keep doing it. Why wouldn't I? If Verizon catches on, it is much more likely that they will not allow you to add the number to your friends and family list than to ban the Google Voice app on a Moto/Verizon/ Google phone.

You've missed my point - By ALL means use Google Voice. Use Google "Anything you want" - matter of fact use "Anything you want" - I'm talking about a much broader topic then just Google Voice. I'm talking about the complete open nature of the Android OS and the fact that it would seem so far anyway, that they have done very little if anything to lock us out of our devices and do what we want with it. IF in doing that - we end up making a mistake and making charges on our bill, we CANNOT expect Verizon to pick up the tab. If we do, they are going to get angry, tired of spending resources on supporting us, and release some code to lock up our phones so that only apps they pre-approve will work. We really, really don't want that.

And don't say it won't happen, because it will if enough people A) Demand refunds on charges they legitimately incurred, even if by mistake or B) Overwhelm their tech support lines with calls about third party apps.

romeov

Reaction score
I gotta COMPLETELY agree with heem on this one. There are about 100 threads on Google voice here and that was one of the first questions answered (no verizon mobile to mobile minutes) and has been repeated countlessly. I understand someone jumping into GV excitedly and not reading all the threads, but when the mistake was found, it's really your fault and not Verizon's, and the more people that complain or try to get their bill waived, the more Verizon is going to want to take it away.

It's the same principal as another user on here who said that if Verizon/Google was going to offer Google Voice on the phone, they should explain it 100% give every droid user a GV invite right now, and make sure this doesn't happen.

Which is EXACTLY why they did not put Google Voice on the phone when you got it, you have to go get it in the market and choose to use it yourself. That's very telling I think, on Verizon/Google's part. As in "this is your decision to use this, not ours. Make sure you are informed"

But, I understand the mistake. Google should really start including the whole "no mobile to mobile minutes" thing in their main FAQ's as more and more users start using it.

oceanlight

Reaction score
@OP: did you put the number in friends and family?

IF in doing that - we end up making a mistake and making charges on our bill, we CANNOT expect Verizon to pick up the tab.
agreed.

romeov

Reaction score
Google Voice is NOT Skype.

Welkl not right now, but probably very soon with the whole Gizmo5 purchase, that's going to be such an awesome addin to Google Voice. Although I'm not looking forward to even more lag in GV calls then there already is

TomN

Reaction score
Google Voice is NOT Skype.

Welkl not right now, but probably very soon with the whole Gizmo5 purchase, that's going to be such an awesome addin to Google Voice. Although I'm not looking forward to even more lag in GV calls then there already is

I would love it if that happens and GV becomes VoIP. :icon_ banana:

kelchm

Reaction score
I don't really see what there is to misunderstand about google voice. It works like a calling card would. Obviously that's not considered a mobile to mobile minutes. If you use something without understand how it works then thats your fault, not the carriers.

ibshortie

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but I am new to cell phones. What is the point of using GV if it doesn't save me minutes?

akj27

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question but I am new to cell phones. What is the point of using GV if it doesn't save me minutes?

Unless you're making international calls, then there isn't one lol

wsbsteven

Reaction score
Gives you transcribed messages, online voicemail, single number to ring multiple phones, cheap international rates, call blocking, customized voicemail messages by number or group.

Reaction score
I have google voice using my own number for now. Maybe that will change if the service improves.