Google voice warning!

halkun

Reaction score
Ok, I don't quite get this... I have GV but I don't have cell service on my phone at all. I can text just fine with my google number when I'm in a Wifi spot, but when I try and make a phone call with google voice the phone rings a verizon operator and they want a credit card to finish the call because my phone isn't activated. It appears I'm using the "normal" dialer. How do I switch to the Google Voice dialer so I can make calls over Wifi for free?

romeov

Reaction score
I'm not sure you read this whole thread.

There is no free calling using Google Voice over Wifi.. at least not yet.

You HAVE to have a Verizon calling plan to use GV for calls.

Remember guys, this is a Droid forum, and not a Google Voice forum. While we have plenty of info on the service, you should really take the time to go to the actual Google Voice web page (and huge forum) for questions and info on how to use it.

Otherwise it's like going to a Porsche 911 forum and expecting to find everything you ever wanted to know about how cruise control works and it's in depth, subsequent features.

jbuchers

Reaction score
Uh, RomeoV, I did ask a question pertaining to the Droid...I want to use a headset, but I want to be able to voice dial it without scrolling thru the phone when I'm driving. The store rep told me to use the soft key at the store. My question was how to voice dial, and if using the soft key will initiate a charge. Any answers?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
All calls thru google voice are going to use cell minutes UNLESS you are going thru a free VoIP set-up with sipdroid & sipsorcery, along with a provider like sipgate or skype.

romeov

Reaction score
My apologies if I came off harsh. I just find that people are asking and using Google Voice and don't know the very basics of how it even works.. which is totally fine, everyone starts somewhere.. but there is a LOT of mis-information scattered around this board, and if you want to use it correctly, a trip to the actual google voice webpage is going to help so much to just get the basics. Because once again. There is NO free calling over wifi with Google Voice (unless you set up a sipdroid or similar account which I doubt given your question) So using the voice search when you are driving doesn't matter.. it doesn't matter how you get to your contact and make the call, because in the end, you still need a real verizon calling plan to make that call, regardless if you are using Google Voice.

I'm actually wondering how you got about not having a voice plan? As far as I knew it was mandatory on Verizon (data only plans I believe are only for the hearing impaired? Someone may correct me on this) Unless you just bought a droid and have never activated it.

The good news is Google bought out Gizmo5, a company that does VOIP, and will most likely be integrating the service into Google Voice, but that doesn't seem to be anytime soon.

So again, NO free wifi calling over google voice (without some big time sip setup)

halkun

Reaction score
I'm actually wondering how you got about not having a voice plan? As far as I knew it was mandatory on Verizon (data only plans I believe are only for the hearing impaired? Someone may correct me on this) Unless you just bought a droid and have never activated it.
I bought a droid and never activated it. I grew up in Japan and I'm appalled at how horrible the US wireless system is here. They will never get my money I use my devices on my terms, not theirs. I'm getting a personal voip gateway anyway so I'll be getting around the GV limitation soon enough :)

romeov

Reaction score
I bought a droid and never activated it. I grew up in Japan and I'm appalled at how horrible the US wireless system is here. They will never get my money I use my devices on my terms, not theirs. I'm getting a personal voip gateway anyway so I'll be getting around the GV limitation soon enough :)

Ah ok, that's what I thought. Yeah, the wireless here is nowhere near japan.. but its all we have so we have to make do. Look up how to use gv with sipdroid and gizmo5. As I mentioned before google recently bought them so voip will be built in, but no one knows how long.. could be a while. And once they do I would gladly turn off my service as well.. if it weren't for the fact that every single call I wanted to make or receive, I would have to be in a hotspot. Which, obviously I'm not 80% of the time.

I believe google will start offering a data only plan though and it will be hard for the others not to follow suit to compete.

destroy

Reaction score
Okay guys, I got burned on the voicemail thing so let me clarify something for those that are using it "just for voicemail".

Google Voice Voicemail charges you minutes EVERY TIME someone leaves you a message because what you are doing when you "set GV as your default voice mail" is forwarding every call that goes to voicemail to your Google Voice number. By forwarding it, in reality YOUR PHONE is making a call to your GOOGLE VOICE number.

Great explanation. Now assuming I only get maybe 10 or 12 voicemails a month that can only add up to 20 minutes or so (depending on how long the voicemails are) right? Does the call go to your phone THEN forward it to google voice after you don't answer (using minutes for just the voicemail) or does it forward to the google voice number before your phone even rings (using minutes for the entire call regardless of if it went to voicemail or not) ? I'm just trying to use it for strictly voicemail.