Google Voice texting: Am I using Verizon's data?

DroidPDX

Reaction score
When I text through my new Google Voice number, am I using up some of my 1500 Verizon text messages? Or is this a different system?

In other words, can I cancel my text package and just use Google Voice to text now?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
your using part of your unlimited data plan....

now if you make phone calls using google voice it goes against your plan minutes unless you have it setup to use wifi only.

zMd113

Reaction score
I was wondering about this as well except my question is a little different.
Instead of giving people my Verison number, and then my Google Voice number for texting, (no texting plan for me) should I just give out my GV# for all calls since all it does is use my minutes anyway?

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

now if you make phone calls using google voice it goes against your plan minutes unless you have it setup to use wifi only.

The work around is dialing your GV number, and then punch your VM code, then press 2 to make a call, then dial the number you want to call. It will then "route" through your GV number and not go against your minutes. I do this for those calls that I know may be lengthy. I just have the full sequence and pauses in the contact info.

As for the texting, I believe that just using the GV number will still use your sms counts. AND, no MMS with the GV number.

Reaction score

The work around is dialing your GV number, and then punch your VM code, then press 2 to make a call, then dial the number you want to call. It will then "route" through your GV number and not go against your minutes. I do this for those calls that I know may be lengthy. I just have the full sequence and pauses in the contact info.

As for the texting, I believe that just using the GV number will still use your sms counts. AND, no MMS with the GV number.

Right on the first part wrong on the last gv does not county against your verizon texting plan it counts as data usage as long as u have it setup to not send txts to your phone when u get a sms on your gv account and just have it push u notifications from the app itself.

Droids

Reaction score
In order for the texting to be free, 100% of both incoming and outgoing texts need to go through the google voice number.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

the easier way to actually get free google voice calls over wifi without having to call yourself and press this and press that then to dial a phone number to make a call is to setup google voice through sipgate

here is a turorial to setup completely free google voice calls over wifi and it works just like a normal phone so you dont have go make any extra steps.
http://gurnted.wordpress.com/guides/updated-guide-from-xda/

Last edited:
OP
DroidPDX

DroidPDX

Reaction score
Just looked up on my Verizon account. No, if the texts come in through GV number on the GV app, I am not charged. I can downgrade my text messaging plan.

zMd113

Reaction score
Right because Google voice text are technically emails for you, but for the person your talking to it's a text.

thinkmega

Reaction score
When I text through my new Google Voice number, am I using up some of my 1500 Verizon text messages? Or is this a different system?

In other words, can I cancel my text package and just use Google Voice to text now?

If you "forward" the text message to your phone, see the details under "setting", you are running against the quota.

I've cancelled my unlimited text message plan because the google voice app can do the same, may be with a slight delay which is a very subjective thing.

In fact, I have two google voice numbers pointing to the same phone (Motorola Droid). However, I can only use one of them at any given time. This is good enough to me. I basically have three numbers at my disposal.

To make it short, I think you can cancel the text message plan without losing anything.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Voice texting: Am I using Verizon's data?
Your question is flawed. You're using Verizon's data but not your messaging pool (or pay-per-use messaging if you don't have a messaging pack). Texts are not data. If you think about it, non-data phones have been able to text for ages.

If you're certain that no one will text you directly on your VZW number and that you have SMS forwarding and notifications disabled in GV. For the latter, hit the GV site via your PC as there are more options visible.

Instead of giving people my Verison number, and then my Google Voice number for texting, (no texting plan for me) should I just give out my GV# for all calls since all it does is use my minutes anyway?
It's your call to make. I only give out my GV number. I don't even know what my VZW number is. IMO, it's too much of a hassle to keep track of who has what number and to expect people to remember to call on one number and text on another. If everyone uses your GV number you can use GV to manage your inbound calls (and all the other GV features).

Right because Google voice text are technically emails for you, but for the person your talking to it's a text.
No, they're data but not email. Email only figures in if you enable email notifications.

Last edited:

lnxtinman

Reaction score
is google voice app on a droid already? if so, where? if not how does one get it? thamk you..

JohnAP2

Reaction score
If you have the GV application on your phone you can plug in the phone number it dials to your "friends and family" list. Then, change the caller ID setting in GV to display your GV number along with also plugging your GV number into "friends and family". With call presentation enabled you will still know who is calling you before accepting the call or rejecting it to voicemail. Now, all incoming and outgoing phone calls using your GV number will be FREE along with FREE text messages.