Soo....SMS through Google Voice is free right?

ViciousCircle

Android Addict
Premium Member
Reaction score
*If you don't have SMS forwarding enabled.

I belive everything from from google voice is free...
Google doesn't bill you for minutes for voice calls but they do count against your voice plan minutes. I wouldn't exactly refer to voice calls as free.

Who said that Google Voice calls are counted against your Verizon minutes? As far as I know, Google Voice uses airtime data to make phone calls, the same way like Skype does it. Therefore, I believe it doesn't use the minutes and theoretically you can have unlimited minutes if you call through google voice. Unless I'm wrong?

GV calls are made by calling a number. If you have a plan were you can call certain number for free, and you put that number (and the number google uses to send you GV calls) then they don't use your call minutes. However, if you don't have one of those plans, (or do have one and don't put the GV numbers into it), then you use normal call minutes.

And, I've read that the numbers that GV uses do change from time to time, so it's good to check them and update your favorite numbers.

cashman

Reaction score
*If you don't have SMS forwarding enabled.

I belive everything from from google voice is free...
Google doesn't bill you for minutes for voice calls but they do count against your voice plan minutes. I wouldn't exactly refer to voice calls as free.

Who said that Google Voice calls are counted against your Verizon minutes? As far as I know, Google Voice uses airtime data to make phone calls, the same way like Skype does it. Therefore, I believe it doesn't use the minutes and theoretically you can have unlimited minutes if you call through google voice. Unless I'm wrong?

And I think i am wrong:

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Ae8glDUXDsh9ZGR2eG43cjRfMzNkOTM4ZjNjeA&hl=en

droidianslip

Reaction score
GV calls are made by calling a number. If you have a plan were you can call certain number for free, and you put that number (and the number google uses to send you GV calls) then they don't use your call minutes. However, if you don't have one of those plans, (or do have one and don't put the GV numbers into it), then you use normal call minutes.

And, I've read that the numbers that GV uses do change from time to time, so it's good to check them and update your favorite numbers.

not true anymore. Now the number that is called is different for each caller you call

Google Voice Blog: Faster dialing with Google Voice on Android and Blackberry devices

One would have to assume/hope that since GMail now allows VOIP calling (voice chat) using your google voice number from a computer (like skype) it is only a matter of time for VOIP on android...