Soo....SMS through Google Voice is free right?

jrl9851

Reaction score
I just gave out my google voice number to all my contacts and told them to start texting that number. Seems to work fairly well. I receive a text through the google voice app and reply to them within the app. Works just like stock messaging actually.

I'm about to cancel my unlimited texting plan though verizon, but want to make sure it's completely free to send/receive SMS through google voice so I don't get a huge bill if I cancel my unlimited texting plan...

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just gave out my google voice number to all my contacts and told them to start texting that number. Seems to work fairly well. I receive a text through the google voice app and reply to them within the app. Works just like stock messaging actually.

I'm about to cancel my unlimited texting plan though verizon, but want to make sure it's completely free to send/receive SMS through google voice so I don't get a huge bill if I cancel my unlimited texting plan...
I belive everything from from google voice is free.... unless your calling long distance or something. As for the canceling of your plan id ask one of the vz reps their opinion. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...9-vzw-rep-general-account-questions-only.html
They know lots.

RichSmithSWM

Reaction score
But for Verizon customers with limited texting plans your Google Voice SMS isn't free for them. I block people that cost me. Just something to think about.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
But for Verizon customers with limited texting plans your Google Voice SMS isn't free for them. I block people that cost me. Just something to think about.

I read that 5 times and don't quite understand what you are trying to say?

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. Everyone I know has unlimited texting plans.

RichSmithSWM

Reaction score

Sorry, I'm hard to understand at times. Pretty much only Verizon works where I live so most people don't have unlimited plans because almost everyone they communicate with is with Verizon and "In".

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sorry, I'm hard to understand at times. Pretty much only Verizon works where I live so most people don't have unlimited plans because almost everyone they communicate with is with Verizon and "In".
Does this mean its free to text to?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused by this thread. Let me try to clear it up: SMS is free to send and receive if you use Google Voice to do it.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
I'm really confused by this thread. Let me try to clear it up: SMS is free to send and receive if you use Google Voice to do it.

Thank you. That is all I wanted to know lol.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
*If you don't have SMS forwarding enabled.

I belive everything from from google voice is free...
Google doesn't bill you for minutes for voice calls but they do count against your voice plan minutes. I wouldn't exactly refer to voice calls as free.

I block people that cost me. Just something to think about.
I don't SMS with you so no problem... :D

Last edited:

ruinah

Reaction score
there should be a clarification. Google Voice allows you the ability to also copy your normal phone number SMS. Below is the option under Settings, Phones, Edit. I think if that is enabled and a person texts you to your GV it will go to your standard verizon number text. I have it turned off so it doesn't do that and do not have a text plan on Verizon. I solely use GV for texts and haven't been charged a red cent.

Receive text messages on this phone (mobile phones)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
there should be a clarification. Google Voice allows you the ability to also copy your normal phone number SMS. Below is the option under Settings, Phones, Edit. I think if that is enabled and a person texts you to your GV it will go to your standard verizon number text.
That's SMS forwarding.

ruinah

Reaction score
there should be a clarification. Google Voice allows you the ability to also copy your normal phone number SMS. Below is the option under Settings, Phones, Edit. I think if that is enabled and a person texts you to your GV it will go to your standard verizon number text.
That's SMS forwarding.

Right, but if it's turned on then you incur text costs with Verizon. Isn't that what the OP is talking about or am I missing something?

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
That's SMS forwarding.

Right, but if it's turned on then you incur text costs with Verizon. Isn't that what the OP is talking about or am I missing something?

No, I don't do sms forwarding. I don't use my verizon number for ANY text messages anymore. All SMS's are sent to my google voice number and I reply within google voice.

cashman

Reaction score
*If you don't have SMS forwarding enabled.

I belive everything from from google voice is free...
Google doesn't bill you for minutes for voice calls but they do count against your voice plan minutes. I wouldn't exactly refer to voice calls as free.

Who said that Google Voice calls are counted against your Verizon minutes? As far as I know, Google Voice uses airtime data to make phone calls, the same way like Skype does it. Therefore, I believe it doesn't use the minutes and theoretically you can have unlimited minutes if you call through google voice. Unless I'm wrong?

Takenover83

Reaction score
Google Voice SMS is basic. It will not work with MMS, that's picture, video, audio, attachments, etc... All you get is text. If someone tries to send you a MMS, you will not get anything. You could use GV for your basic unlimited text, and pay for your MMS.