Google Voice SMS Users:

Royal2000H

Reaction score
This is for Google Voice users (with a Google Voice number) who use SMS.

Do you use the Google Voice app or the stock messaging (with 406 numbers) or a messaging app like handcent (with 406 numbers)

This should be limited to people who have an SMS plan anyway, so it's not biased toward free texting. But I'm open to those other opinions as well...

Last edited:

romanrish

Reaction score
Handcent and Google Voice

I use handcent and disabled the stock messaging app altogether. I only use Google Voice texting for business. That way I can keep them seperate. I would hate to have work and personal texts going to the same number.

Only problem with Google Voice you will notice is the refresh rate is like a minimum of 5 mins or something like that.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Use GV for VVM and Handcent for texting....
I have unlimited texting on my family plan due to the kids texting about 10k/month....

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I have unlimited texting on my family plan due to the kids texting about 10k/month....
Are your text messages routed through Google Voice though (the service, not the app)?

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
I use handcent and disabled the stock messaging app altogether. I only use Google Voice texting for business. That way I can keep them seperate. I would hate to have work and personal texts going to the same number.

Only problem with Google Voice you will notice is the refresh rate is like a minimum of 5 mins or something like that.
I set GV to still forward SMS to my phone, even though the messaging app is disabled, and the GV app usually fetches whenever an SMS is internally received on the phone. Probably uses up more battery, but at least it's almost instant.

The reason for this thread is to see how comfortable it is to switch out of the Google Voice app for people who do a lot of texting... I've become fed up with the Google Voice app bugs and lack of updates.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Are your text messages routed through Google Voice though (the service, not the app)?

No...No need with unlimited....All are through Handcent....

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score

No...No need with unlimited....All are through Handcent....
Ah but then people are using your Verizon number, not your Google Voice number.

My question is for people using a Google Voice number.
Thanks for your input though!

les017

Reaction score
I have disabled GV sms forwarding and instead forward to Gmail and use the mail-to-sms conversion for my GV contacts. This allows for near-instand GV text since the Gmail pushes instead of waiting for GV 5 minute refresh rate.

All of my fussy and/or Verizon contacts I still use Handcent

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have disabled GV sms forwarding and instead forward to Gmail and use the mail-to-sms conversion for my GV contacts. This allows for near-instand GV text since the Gmail pushes instead of waiting for GV 5 minute refresh rate.

All of my fussy and/or Verizon contacts I still use Handcent

This sounds cool. How do you do this?

DroidFan

Reaction score
Really, in all fairness, there needs to be a combo choice... I use GV to get free SMS with my boyfriend & clients, but many of my friends still text me through HandCent, so I use both quite heavily.

OP
Royal2000H

Royal2000H

Reaction score
Really, in all fairness, there needs to be a combo choice... I use GV to get free SMS with my boyfriend & clients, but many of my friends still text me through HandCent, so I use both quite heavily.
Right, but your Google Voice SMSes are through the Google Voice app.

Your SMSes that aren't through your Google Voice number are irrelevant to the question.

thistle

Reaction score
I use (unofficial) GV but still have the cheapest text plan VZ offers. I wanted to see over a few months if I could keep texts to my old number under the limit before completely dropping it.

backlash

Reaction score
I have no text plan at all. I only use Google Voice to get free texting.

raethryn

Reaction score
This has probably been posted somewhere but can I use my google voice number when I get one and my verizon number on the same phone?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Right, but your Google Voice SMSes are through the Google Voice app.

Your SMSes that aren't through your Google Voice number are irrelevant to the question.
Even so, both should still be an option on the poll as it's possible to use GV and an SMS app if you have forwarding enabled.