Google Voice Cost (Verizon)

ljprevo

Reaction score
I have search high and low and have found conflicting messages.

I want to know the following...

If I set google voice up, what cost will I encounter with Verizon.

1. As my voice mail? Someone calls my cell, goes to google voicemail.

2. Someone calls my google voice number, goes to my cell.

3. I text someone from my phone using my google voice.

4. Someone text my google voice number.

I am reading that

#1 there is a charge to forward my unanswered calls to google #

#2 there is a charge if someone calls my google number and it forwards to my cell.

#3 and #4 the texts are teated as a "out of network" text message and I get charged?

I am using the moto Droid, Google voice app, and I do not have Verizon's Friends and Family, we do not want to upgrade, we have a much better deal where we are at and most of our friends and family are on Verizon they are free anyways. We never go over our mins, so there is no need to increase our bill $20 to $30 just to have friends and family.

Thanks.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use Google Voice strictly for managing my voicemail (not for calls/texts, and I use my cell #, not my GV #) and have been for probably 3-4 months. I've seen no charges for calls going to my cell that go to GV voicemail. I've also seen no charges for calls to my GV # that forward to my cell. I've never texted with GV. Basically, I've seen no charges whatsoever for using GV. :icon_eek:

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, in keeping with your format, based on my experience:

#1 - no charge
#2 - no charge
#3 and #4 - don't know

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
I use Google Voice strictly for managing my voicemail (not for calls/texts, and I use my cell #, not my GV #) and have been for probably 3-4 months. I've seen no charges for calls going to my cell that go to GV voicemail. I've also seen no charges for calls to my GV # that forward to my cell. I've never texted with GV. Basically, I've seen no charges whatsoever for using GV. :icon_eek:

Did you set your google number up as a friends and family number?

I don't have that option.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm the only one in my family with Verizon, so no. My wife is on a T-Mobile prepaid plan, and the rest of my family is on AT&T or Sprint. (If I'm understanding you correctly)

JCo352

Reaction score
Texts are free, incoming and outgoing. Google voice, voicemail is free. People calling your google voice number is free(just uses minutes), same goes for outgoing.

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
I'm the only one in my family with Verizon, so no. My wife is on a T-Mobile prepaid plan, and the rest of my family is on AT&T or Sprint. (If I'm understanding you correctly)

Verizon has the option for you to add out of network numbers to your friends and family. Calls to those numbers are free in and out.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. No, I haven't done that.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

lmapp

Reaction score
Unless you have your GV # set up as one of your Friends and Family numbers (and use the GV # for I/C and O/G calls), it's not going to be that much of a money saver. It's still pretty good for voice mail management. You can also use it for incoming call management, but that doesn't really make your phone bill any cheaper.

I am probably going to switch to Cellular South when they get the Milestone or the Desire, and I'll have to pay like $1.30 per month to allow my calls to forward to my Google Voice #. To me, it will be worth it just for voice mail management.

B

budmonster

I just signed up for Google Voice, I picked the "Using a non-Google number" option. This option is free right? This is what I get since I chose that option:

Google voicemail
, International calling, Voicemail transcription, Custom Voicemail Greetings and Mobile apps

From what I read, I'm getting the idea that the option I chose is free, but I just want to make sure. I don't think anything above cost money, since I'm on the unlimited data plan from Verizon. All I want to do is keep getting my voicemails sent to my phone and to my email like it has been doing. Google voicemail has now replaced my Verizon voicemail, so I have to call a (717) xxx-xxx number to record my greetings and check vmails. Does that cost money to use or is the same thing as my Verizon voicemail, just with extra features?

apastuszak

Reaction score
I just signed up for Google Voice, I picked the "Using a non-Google number" option. This option is free right? This is what I get since I chose that option:

Google voicemail
, International calling, Voicemail transcription, Custom Voicemail Greetings and Mobile apps

From what I read, I'm getting the idea that the option I chose is free, but I just want to make sure. I don't think anything above cost money, since I'm on the unlimited data plan from Verizon. All I want to do is keep getting my voicemails sent to my phone and to my email like it has been doing. Google voicemail has now replaced my Verizon voicemail, so I have to call a (717) xxx-xxx number to record my greetings and check vmails. Does that cost money to use or is the same thing as my Verizon voicemail, just with extra features?

Both options are free, but unless you get a Google Voice assigned number, you can't text for free.

B

budmonster

Google voicemail

Both options are free, but unless you get a Google Voice assigned number, you can't text for free.

I have the unlimited data plan with verizon. unl text, data, etc.

So all Google Voice is using, is my minutes when I call my voicmail, correct?

Because When I press "1" on my phone now it goes to Google Voicemail, not my Verizon voicemail anymore. But I'm still using my Verizon number.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Voice uses minutes for all calls (it's not VOIP). If you have F&F you can add the access number for free outbound calls.

What happens when you "activate GV voicemail" is that you're just setting up conditional call forwarding to go to your GV number instead of VZW's voicemail.