(Google) Voice Search "Server Problem" on razr maxx

trhoads66

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem - I get "Server error" when trying to use Google Voice Search (on Razr Maxx) from the Homepage - when I open Google Voice and use the Voice Search from inside that Widget, then it works. To respond to prior posts here, I've never had Swift Key installed, and I use as my Google Account an older Google Apps account. Has Verizon or Motorola gotten a read on a fix for this yet? If anyone has any info on that, I'd love to know.

OP
Drrooiid

Drrooiid

Reaction score
Verizon says it's not their problem. Motorola says it's the hardware, not a software issue, or it would affect everyone. There is no fix. Just out of curiosity, do you have the stock 16 Gig SD in it, or did you upgrade to a 32 Gig?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm having the same problem - I get "Server error" when trying to use Google Voice Search (on Razr Maxx) from the Homepage - when I open Google Voice and use the Voice Search from inside that Widget, then it works. To respond to prior posts here, I've never had Swift Key installed, and I use as my Google Account an older Google Apps account. Has Verizon or Motorola gotten a read on a fix for this yet? If anyone has any info on that, I'd love to know.

Interesting, you said this was causing a problem when using it from the homepage. Do you mean the google search homepage? If we can find a similarity in where the problem is occurring between users perhaps we could narrow it down to what the actual cause is. I had google voice search not work for me at times like you folks describe but it has always been due to no internet connection. It has never failed when I had either a blue wifi bar or a blue 3g or 4g bar.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

trhoads66

Reaction score
I have the stock 16 gb SD in, didn't change it. This is my first Android phone, given this problem, how likely do you guys think the broken phones will have other problems creep up in time? I'm trying to figure out if worth trading in the phone - I've already spent a lot of time customizing it/downloading apps, so I'm inclined to just keep it, but if this problem is an indicator that other problems are likely with my model, maybe i should just switch it now....what do you guys think?

DocsDad

Reaction score
I'm have no problems with Voice Search. I use it all the time. Sorry you are having trouble.

OP
Drrooiid

Drrooiid

Reaction score

I just realized after re-reading your post, that you DON'T have the same problem... Mine won't work from the Google Search WIDGET - Where you say yours does. Where exactly won't yours work? What "Home page"?

trhoads66

Reaction score
FoxKat - I meant that Google Voice Search does not work from the Widget on my phone's Homepage. I have the Google Search widget on my 1st Homepage to the left of the Center (main) Homepage. If I hit the "mic" icon at the right of the Widget (at the left there is a search icon (magnifying glass), then Google, then a space), it says "Search Now" and then "Server problem" - no matter if i am on Wifi (which I am right now at work) or if i have 3g or 4g. If i tap the Widget, the voice Google Search function at the top still does not work, but at the bottom, the keyboard has now opened up (in between the "?123" and the "space" keys), and on the Keyboard the Mic option works, if i say a word in that situation then a Google Search result will ensue, is what I mean.

OP
Drrooiid

Drrooiid

Reaction score
AHHH!! Then you DO have the EXACT same problem. Sorry to hear it. I so want to be able to use the coolest feature on the phone... "Navigate to McDonald's" or "Call Best Buy", etc.

trhoads66

Reaction score
FoxKat - I meant that Google Voice Search does not work from the Widget on my phone's Homepage.  I have the Google Search widget on my 1st Homepage to the left of the Center (main) Homepage.  If I hit the "mic" icon at the right of the Widget (at the left there is a search icon (magnifying glass), then Google, then a space), it says "Search Now" and then "Server problem" - no matter if i am on Wifi (which I am right now at work) or if i have 3g or 4g.  If i tap the Widget, the voice Google Search function at the top still does not work, but at the bottom, the keyboard has now opened up (in between the "?123" and the "space" keys), and on the Keyboard the Mic option works, if i say a word in that situation then a Google Search result will ensue, is what I mean.

OP
Drrooiid

Drrooiid

Reaction score
Double double...

AHHH!! Then you DO have the EXACT same problem. Sorry to hear it. I so want to be able to use the coolest feature on the phone... "Navigate to McDonald's" or "Call Best Buy", etc.

I'm gonna replace my phone a second time. I'll report what happens.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
FoxKat - I meant that Google Voice Search does not work from the Widget on my phone's Homepage. I have the Google Search widget on my 1st Homepage to the left of the Center (main) Homepage. If I hit the "mic" icon at the right of the Widget (at the left there is a search icon (magnifying glass), then Google, then a space), it says "Search Now" and then "Server problem" - no matter if i am on Wifi (which I am right now at work) or if i have 3g or 4g. If i tap the Widget, the voice Google Search function at the top still does not work, but at the bottom, the keyboard has now opened up (in between the "?123" and the "space" keys), and on the Keyboard the Mic option works, if i say a word in that situation then a Google Search result will ensue, is what I mean.

Okay, we may be narrowing this down. So were talking about the google widget not a google search widget, correct? In other words, the widget with the box that looks like it's designed for text, an icon to the left which is a magnifying glass, and the icon to the far right which is the microphone? I just tried multiple searches with that tool and in every situation it works fine for me. I tried both with the microphone from the widget, and also hitting the magnifying glass and then using the microphone in the top right hand corner of the google search page. In every case it worked.

trhoads66

Reaction score
Yes that's correct the Google widget. But somehow voice command works fine if you open the keyboard.

OP
Drrooiid

Drrooiid

Reaction score
Okay, we may be narrowing this down. So were talking about the google widget not a google search widget, correct? In other words, the widget with the box that looks like it's designed for text, an icon to the left which is a magnifying glass, and the icon to the far right which is the microphone? I just tried multiple searches with that tool and in every situation it works fine for me. I tried both with the microphone from the widget, and also hitting the magnifying glass and then using the microphone in the top right hand corner of the google search page. In every case it worked.

So you can use the mic button on the Google Search Widget and say "Navigate to McDonald's" and it brings up Google Nav with McDonald's as the destination... THAT is what I cannot do without getting "Server Problem".

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So you can use the mic button on the Google Search Widget and say "Navigate to McDonald's" and it brings up Google Nav with McDonald's as the destination... THAT is what I cannot do without getting "Server Problem".

Just did exactly that, and not only did it work but it even told me that my gps wasn't on, took me to the gps setup screen, when I turned gps services on and hit the back button it took me to a list of mcdonald's locations, and when I clicked on 1 it took me right to the map.

Last edited: