Google Voice + Handcent?

bodean

Reaction score
Everytime I get a google voice msg, I seem to be getting multiple notifications with handcent. Is there a way to prevent handcent from having to notify me, or even be used, when I get a google voice msg? Upon getting a google voice msg, I am presented with an HANDCENT notification, along with an "inbox" notification. Too many for my tastes.

JayMonster

Reaction score
Sure, Log into Google Voice, go to settings, click on the "Voicemail & SMS" tab, and uncheck the box in the Voicemail notification tab to turn off e-mail, SMS message (or both)

CyBuzz

Reaction score
Didn't work for me

I have those both turned off and I still get a handcent notification...then a GV notification.

I want to get notified of Voicemails, but not texts since handcent takes care of it.

MPTP

Reaction score
I have those both turned off and I still get a handcent notification...then a GV notification.

I want to get notified of Voicemails, but not texts since handcent takes care of it.

Through a web browser, log into Google Voice. Go to Settings/Phones and under your mobile number click Edit. Once in there, uncheck the box to Receive SMS on this phone. That will stop the unwanted texts from Montana but you will still get them through your Google Voice app and email if you have them forwarded to your email as well. It took me a few minutes to figure this out as well as it's not immediately obvious.

EDIT: Also note that you won't receive text notifications immediately as the fastest refresh time for GV is 5 minutes, but at least it will show you the correct time the messages were sent. GV is fantastic and the duplicate texts was the only thing that really bugged me about it, now it's perfect.

Last edited:

reykja

Reaction score
Thank you, i was wondering about how to do that too.