Google Starts Rolling Out Gmail 5.0 to Android 4.0+ Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A few weeks ago we reported that Google was planning on updating Gmail to version 5.0 and include some cool new features. The new version of Gmail will have support for other email clients, will use the new material design UI and much more. Today is the day that Google started rolling out this new version of Gmail.

It is only pushing out to Android 4.0 and higher devices, and Google even included a handy video (shown above) which demonstrates several of the new features. Sound off and let us know when you get your Gmail update and let us know what you think of it!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I also downloaded from C Net and really like the new app. Pretty cool to add Yahoo and Hotmail accounts right into the G Mail app on your phone. I uninstalled the Outlook app as soon as I added our Hotmail account into the new app. Also agree with @cr6...not a big fan of the default orange-ish / red theme. I wish there was an option to pick different colors for the theme...maybe in the next update? Overall though, IMHO...good job Google!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I'm going to wait until it hits the Play Store, but it has my attention. I use Blue Mail because of my Yahoo and Gmail accounts. Does it have a unified inbox?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm going to wait until it hits the Play Store, but it has my attention. I use Blue Mail because of my Yahoo and Gmail accounts. Does it have a unified inbox?
Not that I've noticed yet. I was never a fan of that personally. Never got used to it & made it difficult to keep track of which address received it. Of course, that could be because I have so many addresses...

Sent from my Note 4

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
It just hit the Play Store this morning. It's OK. I'm not overly impressed but it is an improvement over the old gmail. Maybe I just have to get used to it. It's not a replacement for Blue Mail yet. If it had a way to refresh the inbox list of all the accounts with one pull, that would be nice. I'm not a fan of auto sync. I don't need my email synced every hour. Once or twice a day for me is fine.

Last edited:

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Finally! I can stop using that generic email app on my phone. So far I really like 5.0

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm not a fan of the "check for email every X minutes". Wish hotmail was push, like the outlook application.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not a fan of the "check for email every X minutes". Wish hotmail was push, like the outlook application.
Maybe it'll come with time. I've got the same issue with my Outlook account, but the rest of my pop3 accounts don't offer push, so I guess it won't really make that big of a difference to me for it to check one more.

My most important emails come to my gmail account, so I just set all the others to check at the longest intervals. Most of them could actually just be set to check once a day, but since that's not an option and I won't remember to refresh them manually, this'll have to do.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
ALRIGHT. HELP!?

How can I forward an email on to a group? I've got the group that I want to send this on to setup in my gmail contacts as well as directly on the phone, but there's no option to bring up the contacts app to select the group and if I start typing the group name, nothing comes up.

I could forward emails to fellow board members from the stock email app, but can't find out how to do it in gmail, whether from that specific pop3 account, or from my actual gmail account.

Anyone know anything? I've got a time-sensitive email that I need to forward on.