Google Music!

pico1

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to use this? I just purchased an album through Google Music. However I want to download it on my phone so I can listen to it in my car, when not connected to the internet. It seems the only way to listen to my album through Google Music is when I'm connected to the internet. Even when I select make available offline, I need to be connected to Wifi?

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
"Make available offline" works fine for me, I don't need to be on wifi for it to work. I think there are settings which allow you to download your songs without being on wifi.
But really, you should just stream it! I only have like 100 songs downloaded but I have like 7000 on my Google music. Never had any problems streaming FROM THE CLOUUUUD

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
"Make available offline" works fine for me, I don't need to be on wifi for it to work. I think there are settings which allow you to download your songs without being on wifi.
But really, you should just stream it! I only have like 100 songs downloaded but I have like 7000 on my Google music. Never had any problems streaming FROM THE CLOUUUUD

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

If I'm not connected to Wifi the album is greyed out, even though I made sure I checked available offline. I just want to download songs to my SD card to play on my phone, like my ipod. Is Google Music not a good way of going about that? I don't think this album is even in MP3 format.

Reaction score
If I'm not connected to Wifi the album is greyed out, even though I made sure I checked available offline. I just want to download songs to my SD card to play on my phone, like my ipod. Is Google Music not a good way of going about that? I don't think this album is even in MP3 format.

When you selected make available offline that tells the app to download the music to your sd card. I have a handful of my favorites downloaded for when I wasn't too listen to music without being connected...... like travelling on an airplane. Not sure why your phone is not downloading the songs. Haven't, under settings, there are options on when the app should download songs like over WiFi only or whatever.

Sent from my AOKP AXI0M[R] using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
When you selected make available offline that tells the app to download the music to your sd card. I have a handful of my favorites downloaded for when I wasn't too listen to music without being connected...... like travelling on an airplane. Not sure why your phone is not downloading the songs. Haven't, under settings, there are options on when the app should download songs like over WiFi only or whatever.

Sent from my AOKP AXI0M[R] using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

Yeah I see that now, it says it's downloading but it's been stuck on 19% for the past 8 mins, I hope that it pushes through. Basically I don't want to stream music through my phone, I just want to dl it to my phone and play there. Also it says that there's 8 GB available in the bottom of the GM app, but my SD card is 16 GB. Does that mean it's downloading to my internal phone memory?

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Haven't purchased a song yet, but I uploaded my entire collection of 2500 songs over the last 2 days. It's nice that I can listen to my music and Podscasts.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
How is the battery drain using Google music, as opposed to using songs just placed on the SD?

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
Not sure what's wrong but my dl is stuck and not moving. Anyone know the best way to get music onto your SD card for this phone? Thanks!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I just used the PC Media Sync mode and Windows Media player for mine. Transferred about 9GBs worth of music just fine, took awhile but works great.

mcsoul

Reaction score
Haven't purchased a song yet, but I uploaded my entire collection of 2500 songs over the last 2 days. It's nice that I can listen to my music and Podscasts.

Will you be able to stream those songs from the "cloud" to your phone then from your phone to a network receiver like an Onkyo?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I stream Google Music 2 hours+ everyday in my commute to and from school and any extra drain has not been noticeable on my already heavy usage (Screen on 3+ hours, browsing/gaming for 2 of those) as opposed to my previous SD music only usage.

I use WiFi at school(3G when the wireless connection eludes me) and at home.

If your music doesn't download I would clear and uninstall and try again it might just have gotten hung up on something.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

OP
pico1

pico1

Reaction score
OK so I read that you can download a song/album from Google Music to your PC via web only twice. Does anyone know if I download a song from Google Music to my PC if it's in MP3 format? If it is would I be able to put that on my iPod as well? TIA

detroitwilly

Reaction score
I downloaded my itunes library to google music. It worked but the songs are all messed up and in the wrong folders.
For example, I open up "2pac" and inside there is an album called "unknown album" which has about 80 songs by Sammy Hagar, Wings, and Oasis to name a few.

Where would i go to organize these a certain way? Google Music desktop, or itunes? or does anyone recceomend I do it another way?

Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm thinking possibly itunes because I selected and option to have new songs added to itunes be added automatically to my google music.

I'd really like this to work becasue I've been dying to get the apple os out of life and this could be the start of that.

Does anyone have any issues like the one I'm having?

Zandar

Reaction score
detroitwilly: I would arrange them via Google Music on your desktop. That way, you'll have them all organised on your phone and your desktop (or any other device you decide to use down the road with GMusic), as well as having the proper "tags" should you download to a new device. Google Music is awesome when you get it all set up; love how it integrates everything on Android too.

pico1: The songs all download in mp3 format, and you're limited to 2 downloads per desktop client. You should have no issue getting the songs onto your iPod. I've purchased music from Google Music and burned it to CD via WMP, so it functions just like a regular mp3. If you got the "Available offline" to work on your RAZR (which should be pretty easy; never had an issue on mine), you can go to the folder where the music is stored and drag/drop by mounting your RAZR on a PC/Mac. It usually stores the music in something like "/sdcard/external_sd/Android/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/." You may have to dig a little, but it'll be in there somewhere (I remember doing a search for one of the songs and found it that way).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I never got into the ITunes business.

Use MP3tag to get the file names and tags correct (assuming the information is already there). Then use Album Art Downloader to fix that. Then you can go back with Mp3tag and strip the old album art and embed the new in the tags.

I did use TuneUp Companion (like $40, I think) to fix a lot of miscellaneous tags (and add relatively consistent genre).

None of this is that easy or intuitive, but the only way to manage large collections "relatively" painlessly. I also use MP3gain to normalize the volumes.